Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plugins are not working after upload

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello, I have had success in the past with plugin uploads. I'm confused because this time, the plugins are not viewable on my dashboard.

I uploaded via filezilla to the correct plugins directory. When I go to my hosting account, I can see the plugin files. They are there, in the forums/plugins directory. But when I go to my dashboard to enable them, I cannot view them. They just aren't there. The same 16 plugins that were there before I started the process are still there with no additionals.

I tried shutting down my computer and re-booting, this did not work. I also tried to use two different browsers: firefox and explorer. Any other suggestions?

Best Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

tbh, given that it is relatively quick to load Vanilla, I'd make a new folder, upload Vanilla again and go through the set-up process. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

If using Vanilla from that folder works, you can either redirect your forum to that folder, or delete the original folder, then rename the new one with the old name.

• dodgeriddodgerid
    Answer ✓

Hi TammieEarl, just a quick question, how did you upload with filezila, did you unzip the plugin and then upload the folder or have you uploaded the zip file ?

(I know it's broke right now, just trying to establish your original problem)

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Personally I think you are uploading the plugins incorrectly. ie:

auto

binary

ascii

unicode

If you have access to cpanel , then go into file manager, and see if you can find a plugin that you have recently uploaded. Check its chmod settings... you may find they are set to 000.

We always use auto for stuff like this, files I think should generically be 0644

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answer ✓

I'd definitely go down the route of re-installing Vanilla in a new folder, and linking that to your current database.

If you still have problems after that, it is then almost certainly something on your webserver, rather than in Vanilla.

Answer ✓

Huzzah!

You're welcome.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

FYI-- any plugins which when opened have a macos folder in them should be opened with a more robust zip utility such as 7-zip. then you will get the real contents, uncorrupted.

I have encountered this numerous times and the files you get out of one of these archives using the default windows zipping utilities are usually garbage.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012

Can u ping a file within the plugin directly from your browser. Sounds like cache and file permission issue. Also how Did u upload in ascii / binary format

Don't know if this will solve it, but clearing the Vanilla/cache folder often helps after folders have been moved or renamed.

• 422, I have no idea how to ping a file within the plugin. I also do not know if I uploaded in ascii or binary format. I used filezilla, that is the extent of my knowledge! If you will elaborate I will see what I can do though! Sorry!

whu606, I will check that now. Thank you, I didn't think of that!

• who606 I just deleted all browsing and temporary files and it did not fix the problem. Is there another place I need to go to clear the Vanilla cache?

Tammie

You need to be able to access the files on your host's webserver (for example via CPanel - FileManager).

There is a folder called Vanilla, and in that one called cache. Open the cache folder and delete all the files you find in there.

• Oh! Thank you! going now...

• Didn't work. I deleted a whole directory in there called Smarty. Not sure if that was smart or not. LOL

• Is there a way to re-load all the files without disturbing the database? Three members may seem like nothing to worry about, but I don't want to annoy them and make them start over.

• I loaded google chrome onto my computer and used it to try and get these plugins to work and this did not solve my problem. I'm going now to delete the plugins and re-upload. But in the meantime I need to know if I need to re-upload Smarty, which was in my cache folder, and if someone has any other great ideas I sure would like to hear them! Also, I am not ignoring you, 422, I just don't know how to use the help you gave me! If you will be so kind as to elaborate to help me out, I will try to use your ideas. THANK YOU!

Tammie

afaIk all the files in the cache rebuild themselves as they are needed.

You can always create the Smarty folder again manually in the cache folder. If you do that I would add a folder called 'compile' as well. I had to do that when I tried to run a theme which used a tpl template.

The folder is definitely called plugins, I take it?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Bit more complex than that if uve deleted smarty, there are permission requirements too.

To ping.

Lets say we know the location of plugins folder and a plugin folder within it called dave and a file within that called steve.php.

Ping by opening brwser and going to mydomain.com/path to plugin/steve.php and if u see results.. Then ur on ur way.

If u uploaded via not ftp method, and extracted files.. Could be permission issue.

You could try checking your config.php file in the conf folder to see if the plugins are enabled in there.

If they aren't, you could try adding the lines manually, for example:

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Emotify'] = TRUE;

turns on the Emotify plugin.

If you find you have to reinstall Vanilla it shouldn't affect the database, but always make a backup of the db to be doubly sure.

I think 422 means if you type: http://www.yourforum/plugins/

do the plugins display as a list?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2012

No they wouldnt display as list afaik. You need absolute url

Mine just did, but that maybe because I have my settings wrong!

• I really think I've done something wrong. I must've accidentally deleted or overwritten a file that I need, while trying to get the plugins into the right place. This was never complicated before. I want to "re-install" Vanilla without losing my database files. how can I do this?

• Yes, Whu606, Here is the link: http://nolamil.com/forums/plugins/ that I typed into the address bar and yes, I did get a list of the plugins. The ones I've recently uploaded are there.

• whu606, I just opened my config.php file and the new plugins are not listed. I'm going to play with that a bit...

• I just added this to my config.php: $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['fileuploaddetect-plugin-0-2b'] = TRUE;
    this did not work.

Tammie

If it comes to reinstalling Vanilla:

Your db will be in a separate folder to your Vanilla install.

Keep a note, from the config file, of your database name, user and password.

Use something like phpMyAdmin to make a backup of the db referred to in your config file.

Delete your Vanilla installation, or create a new folder and upload a fresh Vanilla installation, and link to the db during setup.

That should do it.

edited January 2012

The line should be:

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['FileUpload'] = TRUE;

Sorry, think that may be a different plugin...

The name of the EnabledPlugin should be the name of the folder it is in.