Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can Vanilla Team Approve Auto-Update Addon?

aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

This is one of the most basic feature that I would like vanilla to have. It simplifies to many things.

Now, since its available from a another developer (thanks dude, we really need this), I would request vanilla team to approve it so others can use with blind-eye and trust.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Best Answers

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    Answer ✓

Okay I will take a look. Looks like it might be a busy weekend ;p

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Do you have 100% confidence that this plugin won't screw up your installation?

• it is beta is has barely got anything in it yet.

grep is your friend.

• My opinion : First we try it out and then, after a while, we can approve it.

Just because it's unapproved at the moment, it still can be used. Just let the daredevils use it first.

My two cents. I am ok with it not being approved, but i want ppl to use it and help make it better. I know the function right now is not complex, but it makes upgrading a bit easier. I have used this on 5 installs without issue and I know upgrading is one area that many people were looking for a solution. I had put this project on hold hoping an official plugin would be here already, but maybe the community can help me finally make this the plugin we all wanted.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

So,

Can the daredevils try this and let us know there experience?

PS: @x00 Can the plugins pass db or passwords information to thirdparty? Can they be malicious and vulnerable for vanilla?

• @adriansonline thanks for the plugin man, I forgot to thank you :-) I'll be one of the first daredevils

thanks @UnderDog, no worries. Love any help to make it better as well :)

Please upgrade to latest version. Not sure if there is a bug in Vanilla not notifying of version change.

• adriansonline said:
    Please upgrade to latest version. Not sure if there is a bug in Vanilla not notifying of version change.

It's worse, I enabled so many plugins that I'm getting something not worth mentioning ;-) I'll figure it out (daredevil mode) and let you know in this thread.

edited March 2012

@underdog Are you saying the upgrade made things worse? It's working on this end...

• adriansonline said:
    Are you saying the upgrade made things worse?

No, those things I PM-ed to you are some improvements I suggest. Also I recommend improving the backup script.
    The plugin is OK though :-)

Answer ✓

Okay I will take a look. Looks like it might be a busy weekend ;p

• @adriansonline have you had any feed back recently? have you implemented any of Underdog's suggestions? I would love to use this plugin as my last upgrade attempt was a disaster and I lack the confidence to attempt it again.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

I'm not capable of doing a manual backup so i need something like this but i see all comments are very old, Does this mean it's all ok? or it's been discontinued?

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited June 2013

@DenisS: Not capable means you don't have SSH Access or the database tables or you simply don't know ho it's done. If you have first, it can be done very easy.

Would be interesting to have this bundled with "Version Check" from peregrine. Wish we had the "Donate to Paypal"-Button directly next to the Add-On, with number (not amount) of payments done. Would make things more visible to those who want to support specific developments.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@DenisS said:
    I'm not capable of doing a manual backup so i need something like this but i see all comments are very old, Does this mean it's all ok? or it's been discontinued?

If your site doesn't allow this for some bizarre reason. You need to get a decent host, if you don't know how, then its a bigger mistake on your part.

@Phreak - buttons pressed to make perceived ease of donating is not going to make people who want things free from the sweat of others, step up to the plate and donate. The greater vanilla community is not a very generous in terms of financial donations (with the exception of about 10 people :). The funny thing about donations is the people who donated the most to me are the biggest contributors on this board. That says something. Also how many people (who haven't donated to this forum or wiki or through addons or assistance) have actually donated to the vanilla team. Not many I assume.

Making it easier for people to donate via buttons, most people can't even fathom or care about reaction buttons and it doesn't cost them a cent.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@peregrine said:

If your site doesn't allow this for some bizarre reason. You need to get a decent host, if you >don't know how, then its a bigger mistake on your part.

ah have mercy p, DenisS is 66 and it has to be hard for an old dog to learn new tricks no? ;)

yea @phreak, verlassen das Geld und Fragen nach der! :)

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited June 2013

@peregrine: I've mentioned this more than once that the generousity can only come from a community that feels not opressed by the core team. So it's not a "community fault", it's an Open Source policy fault why developers have such a weak return of love and bucks.

@vrijvlinder: Could you please write what you would like to tell me in english, in german it just doesn't make any sense. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

no wonder they did not leave a tip when I told that to a restaurant patron in my waitressing days when they were leaving without tipping and asked for directions to the bus station! I thought geld was a universal word for money...at least in yiddish :)

verlassen das Geld und Fragen nach der!= leave the money ask questions after