Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Future of Vanilla

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello All,

I have just recently downloaded and set-up vanilla as a sandbox evaluation of the software.

I am wondering what is the roadmap for the software in terms of database support. Will the vanilla project always be based on MySQL, or are there plans afoot to support other engines?

From what I have looked at the code looks very well written and structured, and the features offered looks numerous. The only thing holding me back to committing to vanilla forums is the lack of database support. We currently support

Oracle
Postgres
MSSQL

in-house, and I don't think our DBA's will be too welcoming to supporting another DB.

Thanks

Nicholas

Answers

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

there is no reason you couldn't you just need to port

• /database/class.mysqldriver.php
    • /database/class.mysqlstructure.php

to

• /database/class.postgresdriver.php
    • /database/class.postgresstructure.php

the database classes are roughly based on codeigniter query builders, et al. The connection uses PDO.

stuff like the fulltext is different for posgres, but quite a bit similar.

the team have got more than enough on their plate, maybe this is something you team would like to give back.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

We have no plans to build native support for a database other than MySQL. That said, as @x00 says, it's theoretically possible to create your own database drivers because it's all separated.

• Can I ask a question? What if MySQL dies or what if MySQL isn't free anymore in the future. Will we move towards MariaDB? (which is a fork of MySQL of course)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• if mysql dies, then all the sqls will die. So long as sql is popular that isn't going to happen.

it is the no sql moment that is the biggest threat to mysql not the other sqls.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited March 2012

@UnderDog To my knowledge, MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL. You could likely use it now with little worry. Beyond that, I think it's basically impossible MySQL is going anywhere any time soon.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I'm going to echo Lincoln and say that we have absolutely no plans whatsoever to support another relational DB in house, but that doesn't mean that someone else can't support it.

If we move to support another database it will be a NoSQL style database and it will be to support our own hosting efforts.

MySQL is GPL which means that it's impossible for it to die. If Oracle decides to stop supporting MySQL then there are a lot of other companies that will including the bigs like Google and Facebook that already contribute to the project.

In addition, there are the branches like MariaDB and Percona (which we use).

So if MySQL dies it will be because of something like a zombipocalypse and I recommend getting off of forums and defending yourself in that case.