Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Badges?

Answers

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@vbgamer45 you mean images like -

or like this -

By the way, second image is interesting and Vanilla should do the same type of badges.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Is it not possible for Vanilla to "license" the badges plugin to folks who are self-hosting? I started using Vanilla about 2 months ago, and this plugin has been my most-wanted plugin since day 1. At least I would not mind paying a fee to have it sooner.

• jeez guys seriously get a grip....

grep is your friend.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Mmh, this topic is breaking something in the Vanilla community. I feel like moving on, but not sure yet.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • phreak said:
    Mmh, this topic is breaking something in the Vanilla community. I feel like moving on, but not sure yet.

@phreak That's serious man! why would you want to move on! it's the software that counts, isn't it?

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

why don't we all see this as a good patience and acceptance exercise : )

this plugin is a little overrated anyways imho. it's nice, but vanilla is still pretty awesome without it

UnderDog said:
    it's the software that counts, isn't it?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

"Badges? We don't need no badges. We don't need no stinkin' badges!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited May 2012

@UnderDog: Mmh, i don't know really. I could mention a lot of small things, maybe some bigger, could start a serious discussion about it, whateva. Key for me is, that i'm running commercial websites, i want to keep up with recent internet-developments for my users, i contributed not directly to the code but on the side (translations>plugins) since early days of Vanilla 1, i went alongsside communities like phpBB, Mambo and Joomla, expression engine, 4 or 5 other systems... splitting communities into 2 development speeds, was never a good descision, open dev-branches at least have always been a better way not to stop the creativity of the community, and dev. bots floating around asking "i could do it for you for 80 pounds".

Consider this answer as small emotional brick of a bigger thing, that i call uncomfortable, it's a thing i learnd in OS communities. Maybe i'm also just hysterical like x00's picture describes. Maybe i learned reading add-on repositories, often changing start-pages of projects, the lack of statements to the community and blog entries that do not communicate to the community but to newcomers or probable clients to get a feeling of something that feels broke. Or Maybe business-models have changed, and i can't adapt to. ;)

Give me a paypal-link and i donate 200 bucks, but i'm not a fan of suspence. Multiply it by 365 users, and the vanilla core's have a serious meal every day to keep the thing running. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

If you want to pay, then you could pay a developer to make a reputational system. I developed Karma Bank and have had lot of interest, and several sponsors, including other karma and commerce based, add-ons that are coming. So maybe you could have your "shields" add-on.

Btw sponsored development has produce other types other plug-in recent months.

Also they never mentioned they were goign to release it, it has been entirely peoples' speculation.

These kind of system do benefit from testing, before being released. They also have to come up with a business strategy, to actually be able to afford to pay the core team.

grep is your friend.

• brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
    edited May 2012

Well, I don't see any hysteria here. It's just an offer to buy something.

I want the freedom that comes with hosting my own forum, and I don't think I would give up on that for any plugin no matter how good it is. I'm willing to pay for a good plugin, if it is on sale. To me it's like buying an app from the App store.

This situation reminds me of Siri. Apple said here's iPhone 4S that comes with Siri. Even though you have iPhone 4, which is capable of running Siri (and her mother at the same time), I'm not going to give Siri to you. If you want Siri, you would have to buy 4s.

Well, I'm not going to throw away my 6 month old iPhone 4 just for Siri, no matter how smart she is. At the same time, I would not mind paying $9.99 for a Siri app (if there is one).

Paying a developer to build a custom solution would obviously be much more expensive than buying an off-the-shelf product.

• phreak said:
    @UnderDog: Mmh, i don't know really. I could mention a lot of small things, maybe some bigger, could start a serious discussion about it, whateva.

Thank you for your honesty. I would love a serious discussion about it, yes.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

Paying a developer to build a custom solution would obviously be much more expensive than buying an off-the-shelf product.

Not necessarily true.

With sponsored development the cost are spread across all the people that want to sponsor the project, and it is released open source when complete.

Where as you could be paying a subscription or a larger one off fee.

Further changes could sponsored and it can go in the direction people want.

grep is your friend.

• Working on one at the moment have somebody making me some images. Will have it on my hosting system and then for a couple forum platforms.

edited June 2012

d'Accord, d'Accord, where do we get started. :)

• Here's another one, willing to pay or chip in for Badges & Reactions... Just sayin' ^^

• 422422 Developer MVP

Why not go with vanilla hosted plan.

• 422 said:
    Why not go with vanilla hosted plan.

Sorry, not an option for the company I am working for. And frankly... $549 / mo is a little bit... emmm... Yeah. Like I said. Not an option. But thanks for the advice.

• 422422 Developer MVP

$549 a month!? Really.....?

• LOL, he's quoting 1 of the prices on this page. There are more prices man!

http://www.vanillaforums.com/plans

• 422422 Developer MVP

Thats what i thought.. Im sure they start at $49 bucks