Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plans for BBPress 2.0 converter?

OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I've been using BBPress 2.0 on my site (the plugin for Wordpress) and wondered if the porter will support this soon?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

BBPress is one of the options in the porter. I'm not sure about the various versions of BBPress. Did you try it?

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

BBPress is one of the options in the porter. I'm not sure about the various versions of BBPress. Did you try it?

• BBPress is a strange one because it was a standalone forum which worked with Wordpress - version 1.X - but it was remade as a plugin for Wordpress - version 2.0.

There are major differences between the two because of that.

It's the latter I have installed in my Wordpress site, along with Buddypress. It's a bit of a failed experiment really not suited to what I wanted to achieve.

If I can find another forum which can be converted from BBPress 2.0 and then to Vanilla i'll go down that route.

If anyone has managed that i'd love to hear what way it was done.

• Also I did try to direct it to the BBPress plugin folder but it didn't work.

• Ya, bbPress 2.0 doesn't have it's own tables. It's included into the wp_posts table. A way to convert from bbPress 2.0 to Vanilla would be an absolute lifesaver.

• I'm watching this as well, would love to have the ability to convert my bbPress 2.0 to Vanilla!

• @premitheme i'm starting afresh with a blank Vanilla board, but did manage to move the users - see this thread: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19191/is-it-possible-to-import-users-from-wordpress#Item_4

User a round-about way of setting up BBPress 1.1, connecting to Wordpress database for the users, moving users by SQL and then using the porter. It worked. Sadly forums didn't move and my request on the BBPress forums if there was a backwards converter (2.0-1.1) wasn't answered.

The problem remains of assigning user roles (they're all blank) and no idea if passwords converted as yet.

• I started working on a conversion tool for this in Codeigniter. So far I have all the posts, topics, and categories working. I have the users converted over except for the passwords. I'm not really sure how I can go about that. Ideas?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Write it as an extension for Vanilla Porter instead so it's reusable: https://github.com/lincolnwebs/VanillaPorter

• Has anybody made progress on this? It is my last step, and I am dreading doing it by hand!

• There was an error rendering this rich post.