HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I think i like the new layout of vf.org!*

422422 Developer MVP
edited July 2012 in Feedback

Everything seems big and punchy and vibrant... But looks great

Ste

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

I agree. Looks nice.

But I think the comment box should default to a greater height. I know I drag it bigger. but it would be nice if it were a bit bigger in height from the get-go

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

Exciting to say the least. I still see that the main download is at v2.0.18.4 and not 2.1.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Yeah theres a few things id change but , looks cool. Different but definitely more up to date. I dslike sidebar blocks... But its good

• 422422 Developer MVP

mcu_hq said:
    Exciting to say the least. I still see that the main download is at v2.0.18.4 and not 2.1.

Quotes doesnt expand comment box enough on ipad. Perhaps we are guinnea pigs ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

I really like the 4 icons on the top upper right. Easy to see notifications and mail. Assuming they are new, I never used them before.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited July 2012

Can attach files now too, so wonder when we get heads up to start developing on it.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited July 2012

A lot of external files loading. Weird the sidebar looks brown on ipad and gray on pc ( background color ) that is.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I see quite a few validation errors, and rdfa core warnings ( we are getting these on a twitter bootstrap site we are making )
    Like the dynamic meta title and descriptions, I am sure thats all new

• It looks bulky, amateurish and dull.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Yeah but thats exactly what I want, lots of issues. So I can put together a new theme that people will buy. Hopefully.

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

first impression: it's cool, a little ugly and quite nice at the same time. i really like the blue color that punched me in the face .. but still .. it hurt a bit

nice 'fold out' solution with the messages and notifications

i think i like it

so what version of vanilla is this? is that the 2.1?

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

This is 2.1a22

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• I have mixed feelings about this. Either it'll grow on me, or I'll say screw it and edit it. Maybe a background would be nice.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

I am liking it at first instance. But a closer look reveals -

1. Comment box should be made bigger

2. Why not floating toolbar at top like other custom themes have done. Its easy and its useful.

3. Profile pic is not in between the navigation bar. Slightly need to increase bottom padding.

4. Need larger and noticiable bookmark icon.

5. Addon warning is too loud. Need soft red for this theme.

6. View and comment boxes should be aligned to row height.

7. Sidebar boxes seriously need a change.

That being said, Can we get old vanilla theme as vanilla team goodie? (link)

• 422422 Developer MVP

Ok keep popping back, my final word at present lol.

It isnt very nice to use. Far too many font sizes, and inconsistent color schemes. The forum itself seems squeezed into the left hand container.
    The voting ( view counts , new ) boxes , really are way to big.

The font family, really seems old for this kind of layout.

The messy href links under comment boxes, is just badly designed.

Those sidebar boxes, really irritate me lol.

The weird container width causes some really weird constraints when resizing window , width wise.

As an example: those little icons at the foot of a hovered post by a user, if you then contract window width, but not to within the container size, it seems to re render those icons to a new line. Not sure if it a pseudo attempt at responsive design .. but it doesnt work. Not for me anyway. As the amount of whitespace to the right of the content pane, seems to remain no matter what I resize the width to. Kind of weird, because I still hve the same white right hand margin, but an ever decreasing content panel width.

• SheilaSheila ✭✭
    edited July 2012

Agree with @peregrine and @aery, the comment box is too small as a default.

I think quote button should be visible all time. I understand the need to hide the clutter, quote is not one of it. Only kids usually like minesweeping and that's why it's not good usability to hide most important pieces.

Paging at the top improves usability, very good. But from where I navigate to All discussions? Absolutely no idea.

With reactions I have very mixed feelings. If a post has 10 likes, will there then be 10 avatars in a row underneath the post? That will not look very good. In fact...

With the discussion view, I think the indication of read topic is bit dominant and the contrast with it's font and background color too weak. There must be the séance plugin in effect?
    Previous way was much more subtle, thou personally I don't see this to be even important feature at all.

Also contrast between links and text is too tiny.

That said this was a nice surprise! And colors are very Vanillaish and pretty to my liking.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2012

I think it is right to differentiate the open source site. This looks like an OS site now.

It can improve but the overall branding is right.

grep is your friend.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2012

aery said:
    1. Comment box should be made bigger

I'll be working on this, I want to make it default-inline-expand when you focus it, to a bit larger than it is right now. I like it to be small when initially blurred though.

1. Why not floating toolbar at top like other custom themes have done. Its easy and its useful.

Because we didn't do it that way.

1. Profile pic is not in between the navigation bar. Slightly need to increase bottom padding.

Fixed.

1. Need larger and noticiable bookmark icon.

I don't think so, it looks fine.

1. Addon warning is too loud. Need soft red for this theme.

Fixed.

1. View and comment boxes should be aligned to row height.

We tried this initially and it looked dumb.

1. Sidebar boxes seriously need a change.

I like them actually.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

Where is the activity link located on this page? either its not there or I am "link blind".

http://vanillaforums.org/activity

• I like the plethora of options to react on a post. This looks promising!