Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

New forum. Calendar mod?

mpliusmplius New
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello,
first of all, I am new to Vanilla, and I fell in love at first sight. Simplicity, ajax and everything. However, I am starting a new community and I am unsure, what technology/approach I should use.

I want my vanilla forum users to be able to see some global calendar, make events there and mark 'attend' if they participate. I suspect there is no such mod/plugin/whatever. But maybe I could integrate some existing script?

On top of that, I'd like to integrate mediaWiki (that's no problem, right?) and I need custom pages. For custom pages I could use external CMS, but maybe I could mod vanilla itself?

Thank you for suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@mplius

From my experience, Vanilla is pretty easy to modify.

Previously I'd set up basic web pages and had a bit of a fiddle with css, but was no expert.

With some patience and a a lot of help from people on here, I was able to customise the look and layout of my forum (mostly done via css) as well as create plugins to modify pages.

Take a look at some of the Addons.

I suspect the custom pages addon vanillaforums.org/addon/custompages-plugin would give you a good idea how to go about modification, as would the Pockets addon http://vanillaforums.org/addon/pockets-plugin