HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Best Plugin - Favorite Theme - What's yours?

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited November 2012 in Feedback

I know this has been asked before but, we'll see if there are any responses? Thought this would be useful for newcomers to Vanilla.

A) Best plugin for use by adminstrator?

B) Best plugin for user experience?

C) Plugins you couldn't live without?

D) Favorite theme?

My thoughts

A) botstop

B) buttonbar or Wysihtml5 and Sphinxsearch

C) my plugins :)

D) Kasper's Bootstrap or mcu_hq's chocolate or sevmc's Noise

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• Good idea ;)

A) jsConnect

B) RoleTitle

C) the above, ButtonBar

D) Bootstrap

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

These would be my choices:

A) Page Speed and Botstop
    B) Category Accordion and Timeago
    C) Gravatar as well as my own ones
    D) The "Barebones" theme I'm currently writing

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Theme=DarkMist (reloaded)
    cleditor !! yay
    ExtraPage
    Gravatar
    Emotify
    upload
    ALL
    I just love everything about Vanilla and the development community here !

• A) Split / Merge. Simply impossible to administer a forum without this.

B) Button bar.

C) Both the above, Botstop, Stop forum spam.

D) Bootstrap

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

Bumped, due to popularity :).
    Why is this thread so popular? :)
    Could it be the cat has your tongue?
    Stagefright! "share"ophobia.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    • I love every plugin Don Peregrino has made, must haves ❣
    • categories2menu a must have imo
    • Mobile Default Route is a must have too!
  • hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited December 2012
    • I like this (plugin)
    • ctrl enter
    • Role Badges
    • post count
    • Post num
    • category accordion
    • tag cloud
    • whos online pro (although i had to modify it substantially to make it really work)

a few others im forgetting.

Most of these plugins have been branched or written for my site. the tweaks to OS version are minor but significant in terms of performance.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Best plugins for Administrators: the ones I made (Cron, Logger, LoginGuard). Not just because I made them, but because they allow me to manage and monitor Vanilla much more easily. They are also the plugins I couldn't do without, as there would be way too much manual work involved.

Best plugins for User Experience: Role Badges, User Statistics (again, made by me; forgive my pride).

Best theme: I can't remember the site, but it is an Austrian forum about babies and parenting. I love that theme, colourful and easy to read. Also, @mcu_hq's chocolate was a good base theme with a classic layout, which I then converted into what I call a "Snow White" theme.

• @businessdad said:
    Best theme: I can't remember the site, but it is an Austrian forum about babies and parenting. I love that theme, colourful and easy to read.

http://www.babyforum.at

That one. I really like it. :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

it looks like we need two more categories besides the abcd

available from addon section:

D) Favorite theme?

as well as

E) best themes that are unavailable because they are custom and not in add-on section :)

F) best addons that are fee-based.

funny how there is a dichotomy between the people
    who ask questions "in the forum" have no opinions here and
    the regular contributors who do have comments in this discussion

just an inkling of the "take and run crowd" who don't have time or interest on commenting on anything other than there own problems or interests. :>

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

@businessdad

Did you upload this Snow White theme? I think it will be good for people to use that one instead since you probably fixed numerous issues with it.

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

Best plugin at the moment is Logger. Thanks @peregrine for pointing me to it. And thanks @businessdad for writing it. I've had it on for 20 minutes and already discovered items I needed to know.

edited December 2012

@mcu_hq said:
    businessdad

Did you upload this Snow White theme? I think it will be good for people to use that one instead since you probably fixed numerous issues with it.

Not yet as, you guessed it, it was created for a client. They told me it would be ok to distribute it, once it's finished. I will just have to make sure they won't change their mind and charge me, like my other client, for the privilege, since it was a paid job.

By the way, during the Development of Snow White theme I went my own way in populating the various sections, therefore my techniques can be "unorthodox". For example, if I needed to display something conditionally, I didn't unset stuff that was already set, nor did I parse Content or Panel arrays and put stuff in there. Instead, I used events and did most of the work within a Plugin. My rule is "if it reaches the theme, it must be displayed", which, to a certain extent, makes the theme simpler.

• edited January 2013

@peregrine said:
    it looks like we need two more categories besides the abcd

available from addon section:

D) Favorite theme?

E) best themes that are unavailable because they are custom and not in add-on section :)

F) best addons that are fee-based.

funny how there is a dichotomy between the people
    who ask questions "in the forum" have no opinions here and
    the regular contributors who do have comments in this discussion

just an inkling of the "take and run crowd" who don't have time or interest on commenting on anything other than there own problems or interests. :>

a) apt ads

b) who's online pro, thankful people, and for my forum: mediator

c) see b, i guess

d) i like ozone (but that's not free)

e) i liked how this looked under the austere theme comments: http://imgur.com/a/mHQLC/embed#0

f) i forget which ones were paid for, sorry!

i have thoughts about the 'take and run crowd' comment, but this isn't really the place for that.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited March 2013

@DirtyDog and @businessdad: Thanx for the props. :) A new forum is in the making > www.babykram.de :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Another vote for phreak and his unique babyforum.at theme and colour palette. Really great work.

@phreak said:
    DirtyDog and businessdad: Thanx for the props. :) A new forum is in the making > www.babykram.de :)

babykram.de looks very nice! Its simple comic style is very effective. Besides, I tend to like all resources dedicated to babies and children (my user name should give a hint about this). :)

I also think that the recent Badges plugin from @peregrine will soon enter the Top Plugins list. I hope that my Awards plugin will make it too, in its own category. :)

• I think it is good that people are taking initiative, that improve the quality over time.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@x00 said:
    I think it is good that people are taking initiative, that improve the quality over time.

This. So much this.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.