Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

View count at 1, on 2.1 - old solution not applicable?

All my view counts are at 1! Normally, this is easy to fix.

@peregrine has a solution for previous versions here

but this doesn't seem to work in 2.1, as the lines needing uncommenting in class.discussioncontroller.php aren't there. Anyone point me in the right direction?

At present, all threads started in last few days are at view count 1 - even if they have a few replies by different users, and thus accessed by different IP addresses. http://forum.onlyanexcuse.com/

Tagged:

Comments

• Same in the 2.1 install I've been testing.

• did you enable statistics in dashboard?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• We are referring to the view counts on the front end. Statistics is not related to that is it?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

I don't know if stats need to be enabled to allow incrementation, but its my guess I could be wrong.

However, let me know via pm if you want me to write a sponsored plugin (at the bargain basement price of probably $15-$25) to increment view count upon each view by the same ip address, as well as different ips. Let me know and i'll put in the effort, it seems like a worthy cause, but I figure it ought to be worth a lunch or dinner for my time.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Isn't this functionality supposed to be part of the software? Otherwise why would the view count even be there?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

Question: @DirtyDog

do you have statistics enabled in your dashboard? if not, try it. Otherwise, we are counting the number of angels on the head of a pin.

since no one with statistics enabled is responding we will never know? In any event I created a plugin, if the issue never gets resolved.

• Yeah I have stats on.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

I don't know exactly How view count gets enabled, there are so many conditionals for adding count but it looks like it is in statistics. In any event first person to sponsor the Increment view plugin (quite a simple plugin tested on my machine and working in v2.1) for $15 (if you are under 30) and $10 (if you are over 30) gets the addon uploaded with their name as a sponsor, or maybe we could work out a payment plan :)

pricing based on alternate to this....
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21993/helpful-book-for-webmasters-secret-strategies-for-successful-online-communities#latest

• LOL on the pricing :D

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• No OAP discounts @peregrine? :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

@OnlyAnExcuse said:
    No OAP discounts peregrine? :)

of course there is, all you needed to do is ask!

I'll send it to you @OnlyAnExcuse, if you like it, you have the opportunity to make the token contribution at a 50% discount.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Filed this as a bug. https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1493

This happens when you disable remote stats. We didn't adequately consider that scenario.

My suggested hack for now would be to re-enable remote stats and change Garden.Analytics.Remote to your own domain or a non-existant one to short circuit that way instead. You'll end up with periodic 404 calls via ajax but I don't think that'd hurt anything. I haven't tried this; just a guess.