Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Completely private forum

OTROTR
edited May 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I've just done a quick install of Vanilla 2, and was wondering how do I make it completely private, so that only signed-in users can see discussions and activity?

I can see that I can limit viewing of categories through the roles and categories settings, but how do I hide the activity side of things too?

It's really important that the community I'm just setting up has as much privacy as possible.

I know this used to be easy with V1, I just can't seem to find it anywhere in the documentation or on the forum!

Cheers

L

Comments

• edited May 2010
    +1

Tried to disable the view permission on Discussions for guest. And it seemed to work fine. But the part of Activity always stays open to public. Can't find any options in dashboard. So it is probably a future feature.

V2 RC2 V2 RC1
  • The activity controller currently does not have a permissions attached to it. This could be easily added though.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the info. I will try to dive again.
  • Thanks for the update Gary.

Could you point me in the right direction regarding attaching permissions? I can't find anything on the documentation pages.
  • So is there no way to do this? I was so close to rolling this out but my forum needs to be absolutely, 100% private and only visible in any way to those who are logged in. It seems like vanilla is designed from the ground up in such a way that is counter to this idea.
  • The way I set mine up was to:

1. Install the Private Community Plugin which makes the entire forum only visible to logged in users.
    2. Install the SSL Controllers Plugin which will—using only its minimum settings—encrypt user logins.
  • If you want a totally private forum you can sign up for one on oath.is

It is a hosted solution with an easy control panel to invite or suspend users. Supports avatars and all the basics.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

@jokull

If you want a totally private forum you can sign up for vanilla too - just set your permissions correctly and install appropriate plugins..

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @jokull what @peregrine is saying is that if you go to:

Dashboard > Users > Roles & permissions

Uncheck the view checkbox in the following for guests:

Garden
    Activity
    Email
    Profiles
    Settings

Default Category Permissions
    Discussions

Then that should make the forum invisible to those not logged in.

Based on my 2.1 install, that's how i'd do it.

Though with a single post to your name promoting a 'rival' hosted forum package, i'd question your motives in pulling up a thread which hasn't been used for almost 2 years.

• @OnlyAnExcuse said

Though with a single post to your name promoting a 'rival' hosted forum package, i'd question your motives in pulling up a thread which hasn't been used for almost 2 years.

that's why I left a simple response. close to spam - but gave @jokull the benefit of the doubt.

but - if it was spam - it got turned around into something constructive with your info OnlyAnExcuse

But since I chuckled at the last part of your response - i picked lol.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine i'm not always so cynical :)

Still, interesting to read what problems people had back then and how things have advanced!

• This is something you could also do at the web server level—implement basic authentication for the entire site, so the web server itself prompts visitors for a username & password before displaying anything at all.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

There is a "Private Community" plugin that makes this 1-click.