Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Got Scam Spam Here ?

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I have received some spam here in this forum, apparently from a registered user:

**personal 11:24AM
I am an attorney at Law from Cotonou.Please I contacted you for an unclaimed money of family Inheritance left behind by my late Client Mr.Jeff ,He dies without making a will and their relatives cannot be found.

He suffered from a kidney attack and died year ago 2002 as a result of Cancer without presenting the usual information on his heir leaving behind the sum of (1.5m) One million Five Hundred Thousand united states dollars in an Institution.

If you believe you are entitled to this unclaimed money . Please do not write us on Site send us your name, address,and proof of identity (for example a copy of a birth certificate, driver's license or passport) by email to: ( mychambersinfoo@gmail.com )

Awaits your Response.

Regards.

UPPER CHAMBERS LAW FIRMS ( LL.M)**

Has anyone else gotten these types of scam spam? And if you have please report it to

http://www.phishtank.com

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    OnlyAnExcuseOnlyAnExcuse ✭✭
    edited November 2012

Had someone offer me millions of $ or something, sent a PM to a moderator with it. Not the same one as you.

• Options
    edited November 2012

Well he picked the wrong forum for this shite !! Who would fall for such badly written letter ? Maybe my mom .... this kind of scam is old but never saw it in a forum. Besides We are all entitled to that money lol

• Options

maybe the intended purpose was just to get a thread going on it :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I have gotten this type of letter on myspace and Facebook but never a forum. Always from someone in Africa . I can see the fun (well maybe not) in getting a thread going to find the lost heir of a fortune. If it was for real. Or it was an amber alert for missing child . However wrong place to post such things .

I deem this scam letter open-source-fraud . And Exploiting the multiple log in and register system . I can see the benefits of such a system but it invites this sort of thing. How about a specific spam plugin that blocks people from posting "Please do not write us on Site" or "send us your name, address,and proof of identity (for example a copy of a birth certificate, driver's license or passport) by email to: ( mychambersinfoo@gmail.com )" or be able to block an IP say from Africa.... :)

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2012

Who would fall for an anonymous to anonymous PM, in a totally implausible context? It is not goign to happen is it.

Of course scammers make their letters deliberately stupid, becuase they want to scam, stupid people. They don't want to scam a hard mark, becuase that person might do something about it an track them down give them their last rights. They want most people to discard these letter, becuase they want someone who is easy to manipulate.

However most of these scammers are fools too, and they will do anything to get their hand on money, desperate stuff.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Here is one I wrote myself for my own amusement

Hello my good friend,

It is by the grace of God that I appeal to your good heart, in this sorrowful time. My name is Miss Charity Constance of Monrovia Liberia, My beloved, late brother and missionary Amadeus Constance was kidnapped by islamists Al-Shabaab outside his church in Mogadishu Somalia. He was tried by a Sharia court for proselytising and sentenced to death by stoning. By quirk of fate they had run out of suitable stones and resorted to throwing small pebbles. My brother mocked their ineptitude, and duly scorned, they began chopping him into small pieces, in a most disgraceful way.

Amadeus managed the charity's funds and deposited them in a bank account in the UK. We wish to recover the 1.5 Million Pounds Sterling to put it to good use. I am the only other signatory. Unfortunately I am unable to come over due to being old and infirmed, and they won't send it to Liberia due to the recent civil war. They have informed me that they are willing to deposit the money in a European bank account of my authorisation. It would be most gracious of you, if you could provide your bank details, so you can we can move forward in this difficult time. The money can be transferred as needed through a moneygram service. We will elect you as European fund manager, and you may charge us a reasonable fee of 5% of any transfers you assist.

I hope you find it in you heart to help us, as Amadeus would have wanted for his good work to continue.

Blessed Be,

Charity.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited November 2012

@vrijvlinder said:
    I have gotten this type of letter on myspace and Facebook but never a forum.

These types of letters are older than the internet.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Banned the user, thanks.

I've been trying to think of a good way to short-circuit this spam route without making Conversations more difficult to use. Haven't decided yet.

• Options

@x00 lol that was funny and very well crafted. Too well crafted if I may say .

there are sites dedicated to putting an end to this and they publish the letters. http://www.419baiter.com/_scam_emails_2/419_emails_index_0429.html

http://www.phishinginternetscams.com

Hey they even have a wiki !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam

• Options

One of our forum users and myself have been known to bait and scam the 419 scammers. It's great fun if you get one who breaks out of the scripted replies.

• Options
    edited November 2012

@Lincoln said:
    Banned the user, thanks.

I've been trying to think of a good way to short-circuit this spam route without >making Conversations more difficult to use. Haven't decided yet.

Yea me too I have been looking at word filters. 419 Nigeria Lameness word filter. Something that would filter "Unclaimed money" or "Send your bank account number"

"Spelling and grammar errors
    Scam emails originating from non-native speakers of a language usually contain numerous spelling and grammar errors. This is often the result of scam operators using widely available internet translation programs that do not accurately translate syntax and grammar. This phenomenon has been widely parodied as an obvious indication of fraudulent intent. Cormac Herley of Microsoft Research suggests that spelling and grammar errors are intentional to filter out intelligent recipients and increase the likelihood of a success"

You don't say ! Imagine that . It is believed that the badly written letters are going to scam "unintelligent" people. I would not go as far as to think unintelligent people are the key marks , mostly naive people, desperate people. My mother....

If they did not have 500 plus languages I would suggest that it get translated to their native language and if no spelling mistakes then they get blocked from posting lol..

@OnlyAnExcuse that is very funny I think they use the google translator, too bad Klump here is banned , or I would join in baiting ;)