Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Weird: All plugins went missing via dashboard after adding a folder via FTP

I followed this instruction:

===================================

EXTENSION INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

In order for Vanilla to recognize an extension, it must be contained within it's
own directory within the extensions directory. So, once you have downloaded and
unzipped the extension files, you can then place the folder containing the
default.php file into your installation of Vanilla. The path to your extension's
default.php file should look like this:

/path/to/vanilla/extensions/MarkAllRead/default.php

Once this is complete, you can enable the extension through the "Manage
Extensions" form on the settings tab in Vanilla.

Created the folder in my /plugins/ folder, voila! all my plugins can't be seen in my dashboard

Any help will really be appreciate

Comments

• Options

i think someone should delete that plugin. it completely wiped out my plugins folder.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Are you sure this a Vanilla 2 plugin and not a Vanilla 1 extension? They aren't compatible with each other.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2012

If you want to "mark all read" that's the "All Viewed" plugin that comes bundled with Vanilla 2.

• Options

i' really don't know... i tried uploading again all my plugins via FTP, I can't still see them via dashboard. :(

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Have you tried deleting the MarkAllRead folder altogether?

• Options

@businessdad said:
    Have you tried deleting the MarkAllRead folder altogether?

yha i tried that, it went missing right after. upon checking the cpanel/file manager the entire /plugings folder was wiped out.

hmmm.. lesson learned.. not try add apps not compatible with the framework

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I don't know the plugin you tried to upload, but I'm not aware of any of them "wiping" folders. I also don't think that the framework itself would ever do something like that, as it would be absolutely crazy (and give @Lincoln, @Todd and many other people a terrible gastritis and endless nightmares).

• Options

@businessdad said:
    I don't know the plugin you tried to upload, but I'm not aware of any of them "wiping" folders. I also don't think that the framework itself would ever do something like that, as it would be absolutely crazy (and give Lincoln, Todd and many other people a terrible gastritis and endless nightmares).

i suspect it was that old plugin i.e. markallread.

the whole process went this way:

• i uploaded the said plugin via FTP
    • checked the dashboard/plugins > disabled tab
    • saw a plugin with no name and description including author and out of curiosity i enabled it
    • it didn't go through for some errors hence, push remove/deleted the plugin
    • voila! all the plugins went missing
    • double checked FTP/ folders /plugins and saw the plugins there
    • tried accessing cpanel/folder management to my surprise all the plugins including /plugins folder was not there anymore.

i tried replicating the error

• uploaded the same plugin and saw 3 plugins with no name, description etc.,
    • i didn't delete it via dashboard but rather went to cpanel/file management
    • everything went fine. no folders or plugins was ever deleted.
  • Options

@travelguide

Weird: All plugins went missing via dashboard after adding a folder via FTP

I think that would be considered "a bad trip". Perhaps the travelguide got lost :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    travelguide

I think that would be considered "a bad trip". Perhaps the travelguide got lost :).

he was a clueless traveler i guess :D

• Options

@travelguide said:
    he was a clueless traveler i guess :D

hey! merry x-mas in advance :)

• Options

same thing happened to just now after enabling the user fields plug

• Options

my plugins folder is completely missing

• Options

First of all enabling a plugin doesn't delete the content of the plugin folder that is simply not what it is for, and even if it did you have have set you file permission completely wrong to allow that to happen. Enabling a plugin, sets a configuration, that is in a totally different folder, plugins are simply read or not.

For whatever reason it is getting overwritten or wiped, you should not allow it.

File permissions should never be set that high, bar small number of exceptions.

Unfortunately the era of cheap host have led people to be blasé about file permissions. First of all people assume the 0777 is some kind of default. In reality server admins rarely set permissions that high. Secondly files not only have permissions they have owners an groups, one reason why people with cheap host don't know that, is they have no way of controlling that and don't really understand what it is for, which is why they set the permissions so high.

grep is your friend.