Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Cache Question for memcached

Hi guys i found this error when trying to enabled memcached:
[21-Feb-2013 05:48:55 Asia/Manila] PHP Fatal error: Class 'Memcached' not found in /home/xxx/public_html/library/core/class.memcached.php on line 50

i have enabled these on config.php
$Configuration['Cache']['Enabled'] = TRUE;
$Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcached';
$Configuration['memcached']['Store'] = 'localhost';

Tagged:

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Wild guess (I never used memcached): have you enabled the memcached PHP extension?

• yep, here's a screenshot of phpmyinf()

• 50sQuiff50sQuiff ✭✭
    edited February 2013

Just to confuse things there are two PHP libraries: memcached and memcache. Vanilla can actually use both, but you want to use 'memcache' in both your Vanilla config and your PHP installation. The other one has a memory leak.

• hi @50sQuiff right now i'm using this configuration.

$Configuration['Cache']['Enabled'] = TRUE; $Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcache'; $Configuration['memcache']['Store'] = 'localhost';
    this one doesnt seem to produce error, i'm also thinking what this one does $Configuration['memcached']['Store'] = 'localhost'; or should i do any configurations on this one.

i dont see any errors as of the moment., just curious though, how can i verify if memcache is working fine ?

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@50sQuiff said:
    Just to confuse things there are two PHP libraries: memcached and memcache.

Just when I thought that discussionscontroller and discussioncontroller were confusing enough...

• @businessdad said:
    Just when I thought that discussionscontroller and discussioncontroller were confusing enough...

:D

• how can i verify if memcache is working fine ?

Use this: http://livebookmark.net/journal/2008/05/21/memcachephp-stats-like-apcphp/

• hi @50sQuiff

i've verified, the memcache is not working, attached

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

The information here is incorrect. You want to use memcached, NOT memcache.

• hi @Lincoln, yep i've tried both with d and without d , as stated on the original question above,

i get this error log when i add it on config.php

[21-Feb-2013 05:48:55 Asia/Manila] PHP Fatal error: Class 'Memcached' not found in /home/xxx/public_html/library/core/class.memcached.php on line 50

i have verified with my hosting that memcached is installed properly. i even attached the php.ini information here to prove memcached is installed and running, im not sure what i've missed.

• not there is a difference between the memcahe server, and the php classes.

you want this installed
    http://pecl.php.net/package/memcached

not
    http://php.net/manual/en/book.memcache.php

@Lincoln that is defo the case for 2.1? becuase memcache work perfectly fine on 2.0 used it on several clients. I noticed memcached vanilla implementation was buggy in 2.0.

This will be useful info for upgrading.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@fr3em1nd As @x00 states, you can't just add a 'd' on the end, memcached is a different PHP library that you do not have installed.

@x00 I wasn't aware we were ever supporting memcache. AFAIK, we've only ever used memcached. Support for memcache may have been accidental. Not sure; not my area.

• fr3em1ndfr3em1nd ✭✭
    edited February 2013

@x00 yep "memcache" is working on vanilla 2.0 but it creates huge number of files as cache, but if you have high amount of disk space it would be a good solution, but would still greatly decrease the performance since it'll delete the old file cache and replace it with a newer one if outdated, i find it impractical, on my point of view.

@Lincoln right now i'm running on Vanilla 2.1 and would like to try out some caching tools such as "memcached" i have manually upgraded my version on my live site -- i took the risk since i really like the new features on vanilla 2.1(even though it's not officially released). I even upgraded my server's version to PHP 5.3 just to support vanilla 2.1. So far everything has been stable, ofcourse small bugs, and sent some bugs&issues in github. I'd like to make my site a warzone for bugs and errors and maybe a big gamble for me on being big guinea pig. V21 has been great i just only have THIS major issue though. if you like you can look at my site http://www.txtmyt.com , it's vanilla from inside out

• @Lincoln, in that case your code comments in class.memcache.php and class.memcached.php are out of date.

• To clarify, there is a code comment in library/core/class.memcached.php warning not to use it because of a memory leak in the libmemcached library.

Obviously based on what Lincoln has said, this advice no longer stands. My server guru tells me that may have been a problem back in 2008 but not any more.

• @fr3em1nd said:
    x00 yep "memcache" is working on vanilla 2.0 but it creates huge number of files as cache, but if you have high amount of disk space it would be a good solution, but would still greatly decrease the performance since it'll delete the old file cache and replace it with a newer one if outdated, i find it impractical, on my point of view.

that sounds more like filecache

grep is your friend.

• I have played around with memcache and memcached, but I have removed it again as I wasn't sure about its configuration and our hoster (where the forum will finally be placed) doesn't support it anyway.

Now the default configuration in 2.1b1 is

$Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'dirtycache';
    $Configuration['Cache']['Filecache']['Store'] = PATH_CACHE.'/Filecache';

and I'm not entirely sure how Filecache, memcache and memcached are supposed to be configured properly.

Isn't it supposed to be $Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'Filecache';?

Can someone please post the proper cache configuration for memcache and memcached?

@Lincoln said:
    I wasn't aware we were ever supporting memcache. AFAIK, we've only ever used memcached. Support for memcache may have been accidental. Not sure; not my area.

Doesn't look like it's accidental, if there are library/core/class.memcache.php and library/core/class.memcached.php present.

• I used these settings, and mine seems to be working, although I'll need to verify:

$Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcache';
    $Configuration['memcache']['Store'] = 'localhost:11211';

• edited September 2013

I am running CentOS 6.4 and installed the memcached back-end, and memcache (not memcached) php extension:

1) yum install memcached

2) [OPTIONAL] Edit /etc/sysconfig/memcached to allow more connections, larger cache, etc.

3) service memcached start

4) pecl install memcache

That was all that was required on my machine.