Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

OEmbed doesn't work for Flickr anymore

I installed and tested OEmbed on my site some months ago, then development was paused.
Now, I tried to paste this flickr URL http://www.flickr.com/photos/80901381@N04/7758832526/ both in my offline and online installations and it does not show the image.
Is something changed on flickr or am I doing something wrong?

Tagged:

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

That flickr url you posted doesn't return work at all for me. Could you double check the url?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• If I click on it, it works.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

I get the same results as @hgtonight - the link doesn't contain anything but a seemingly broken page.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Really strange, for me it works also when I am not logged in. Could it be something related to the geographic position?

Try this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/smithsonian/8492314484/. It also doesn't work with OEmbed.

Same thing - all it shows is a bunch of text but no image.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• So, please, copy and paste here a link to a Flickr image you can see, so I can try.

As a matter of fact, I can't see any images on Flickr - something smells fishy :P

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Could it be censorship? Maybe they are controlling content like youtube where they selectively block accesses to the media from certain countries. I know Mexico gets blocked on many content sites. I just saw the flicker pic , so apparently Mexico is not blocked from that pic.

Also if the images are private they won't show if you post them.

@ragdoll said:
    Really strange, for me it works also when I am not logged in. Could it be something related to the geographic position?

Try this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/smithsonian/8492314484/. It also doesn't work with OEmbed.

I am in the US and this link worked for me. Looking at the description, it alludes that image support is only available on the version on Github. Is that right @kasperisager?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Image support for 500px is in the Github version only - haven't been near a Windows PC in a while so I haven't had a chance to upload the new version.

• @hgtonight said:

So, are you able to embed that image with OEmbed?

@ragdoll

Yes, that link works with OEmbed on a test Vanilla 2.0.x installation.

Search first

The original link posted also works for me.

Search first

• So, did you directly paste the link in the message body and it was "translated" to an image?
    Could you try and go to http://www.fotocomefare.com/forum-fotografia, login through the social icons and try to start a new discussion embedding the link in it?

Lol, the addon seems to be disabled: The Javascript file that handles embedding isn't loaded -.-

• Well, obviously I checked and rechecked that the plugin was enabled before posting. What do you think could avoid its js from loading?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

What do you think could avoid its js from loading?

a javascript error stops loading

some browsers have ability to block loading

or javascript file not found.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013

@kasperisager said:
    Image support for 500px is in the Github version only - haven't been near a Windows PC in a while so I haven't had a chance to upload the new version.

What is a Windows PC ? once you go mac you never go back !

@ragdoll

This is a wild stab but you could possibly add this into the theme master in the head section.
    I added spaced between the < > so they would show here, remove spaces if you use this.

< script src="/forum/plugins/OEmbed/js/jquery.oembed.js" >< /script >
    < script src="/forum/plugins/OEmbed/js/jquery.providers.js" >< /script >

Some plugins are known to cause java problems and jquery is known for having issue when using other version libraries of jquery. I have seen something like this before but it had to do with javascript file not found or the path was wrong. In that case the file name appeared in red on firebug's Scripts list. In this case no sign of the plugin at all. Something is overriding it, it could be another plugin you have . All signs point to it not being enabled as Kasper said.

Look in the config.php under plugins to verify that it is indeed enabled.

If you solve this please post the solution so you can help someone else if they have the same problem :)

• I found out the problem.
    The last version of the plugin extracts to a folder called OEmbed-master. However, the default.php file, refers to js files included in the OEmbed folder.
    I renamed the folder and changed the plugin name in config.php and now it works.
    Thanks everybody.