Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

ALTER command denied to user?

Hi all! After numerous failed attempts with other forum software, I've finally moved on to Vanilla, and so far love it a lot more than any of the others... however, I'm a bit stuck and with my limited PhP knowledge can't even figure this one out. I got this error after I entered the database information and tried to click continue.

ALTER command denied to user 'masterevent'@'pawpetsnet02.theplanet.host' for table 'GDN_Permission'|Gdn_Database|Query|alter table GDN_Permission add Garden.Email.Manage tinyint not null default 0

I'm curious... is it because my database's mySQL version is too old or something? If so I'll have to find an older version of vanilla to download--I'd switch hosts in a heartbeat if I could but I'm the administrator of this site and not the owner so I can't change where they want to host it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2013

masterevent user doesn't have the permission to alter tables. You can GRANT the user permission.

GRANT CREATE, DROP, SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, ALTER, INDEX ON db.* TO 'masterevent'@'%';

where db is substituted for the database name. then

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

grep is your friend.

• Aha, thank you so much! I'm trying it out now, fingers crossed.

• I just keep getting

1044 - Access denied for user 'masterevent'@'localhost' to database 'masterevent_main'

D:

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

does that user have permission to even access that db?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• are you using anything to mange you database, And what sort of host do you you have? Shared?

grep is your friend.

• can you use phpmyadmin to adjust your permissions - it seems the easiest way.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• See, the thing is, the owner of the site has absolutely no idea about anything web hosting related, so she gave me the info for directly logging into phpmyadmin and the FTP info, but either she doesn't know about the cpanel (where I could adjust the permissions and probably fix all this since phpmyadmin isn't letting me) or the host isn't allowing her to access the cpanel (rather, the programmer of her site... it's a very controlling company and wouldn't surprise me if they had limited access). The host is shared, but as far as I know the owner (who I'm trying to get in touch with) still pays for it through this programming company, so it's their server shared with their other games.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@PaigeOfpaper said:
    either she doesn't know about the cpanel (where I could adjust the permissions and probably fix all this since phpmyadmin isn't letting me) or the host isn't allowing her to access the cpanel (rather, the programmer of her site... it's a very controlling company

I dealt with such controlling "consultants" in the past, and I would suggest to prepare a message for her to forward to her Supplier, stating that User 'masterevent'@'localhost' must have full access to database 'masterevent_main', with all privileges. Write all the technical stuff on her behalf, and ask her to simply forward it to the other Company. If they have further questions, she can tell them to contact you directly.

• Yep, I've contacted her in hopes that there's a slight chance she may have the cpanel details and explained the situation, and if the reply isn't good then I'll write a more technical email for her to forward. Thanks for the advice everyone!