Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

jsConnect Issues

Hi there. First time posting, so I know I'm going to commit a foul somewhere. I'll just say it now, I'm sorry.

I'm currently using Firefox for my browser, running the Vanilla forum and Wordpress site on a Centos VPN.

I'm having some weird issues working with the Vanilla Forum Single Sign-on plugin on my Wordpress page, and the jsConnect plugin on my Vanilla forum. I have a feeling it's all interrelated, and I'm missing something obvious.

In the Wordpress plugin, I'll click the "Generate" link, but nothing will happen. Only when I open it in a new tab will I see a value.
In the Vanilla jsConnect plugin, I'm trying to delete that client ID. When I click the "Delete" button, I get redirected to a page. The page doesn't load, and the link won't take me anywhere. When I go back, the client ID is still there.
When I actually try to use the Single Sign-on on the embedded forum, it'll keep the Wordpress portion of the page, but the embedded forum itself disappears.

I have a suspicion the culprit is related to Java, but frankly I have no idea where to begin to figure that out. If someone can point me in the right direction as to where I need to look to figure that out, or if someone knows a resource that will help me solve this problem, I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

I didn't know any of these plugins use java, I thought it was javascript or jQuery. ??? Is it rue that they use java as well? didn't think so.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Mixing the terms java & javascript? Happens all the time

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013
  • Okay, my bad. Like I said, I knew I would commit a foul. It was late when I did that post, and mixed the terms. Either way, it don't work, and I don't know why.

• So, can anyone help me here? I'm still at a loss. shameless bump

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2013

@vrijvlinder Just an FYI: Those are both Java logos :-) Java has absolutely nothing to do with Javascript, which is actually a dialect of ECMAScript.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

edited April 2013

@kasperisager yes, very interesting thank you , I think this guy invented that ECMAScript no? ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

Sorry this topic got derailed. @pianoman201

Perhaps if you provided some debugging info or explained more clearly or even again with some screen shots., you may get some help. I don't use any of the plugins you mentioned. But there are some jsconnect experts, who may be able to help. Perhaps the cartoons can stop so the op can get some help :). Perhaps every discussion doesn't need a cartoon, just a thought for moderation, a cute cartoon or image used sparingly may be more effective than in every single discussion.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Forgive me @pianoman201 please don't give up and let us know , sometimes I don't know something either and get silly due to incompetence.

• Alright, here goes round 2. I've noticed issues with both the plugins. On the Vanilla side of the house, I have a connection set up in the Vanilla jsConnect plugin. I want to delete that connection. When I click the delete button, it takes me to "http://www.thejarjarnet.com/forum/settings/jsconnect/delete?client_id=543137738" and nothing happens.

On the Wordpress side of the house, when I click the "Generate" link to generate a new code, nothing will happen unless I open it in a new tab.

That is on the back end of my sites. Meanwhile, on the front end of my site...

From the Vanilla forum, (www.thejarjarnet.com/forum) when I click the SSO link, it will take me to my Wordpress sign in page. After I enter my credentials, I am redirected to another page. This just says "Connecting..." and does nothing. I have included that screen cap, but I don't think it will do any good.

From the integrated forum on the Wordpress side of the house, whenever I click the button on the integrated forum to sign in using my Wordpress credentials, I lose the forum. I'll include a before and after image. This one is harder to explain. So, this is what I get when I go to log on. image
    As far as I can tell, so far so good. When I go to click the link to sign on with my Wordpress credentials, this is what happens.

Now, the common issue has to do with link redirection, I think. It'll load the correct first link, but not the second one. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my CentOS server, if I don't have something installed right, if I'm missing a package, or if it is something else. Any help in the matter is appreciated. Thank you again for putting up with me.

• So, um, any clues? Another shameless bump.

Have you checked the htaccess for both WP and Vanilla?

If you can't disable the plugin via the dashboard, you can do it via the config.php then after it is disabled you remove it. Sometimes if you don't disable before removal the settings stay enabled.

I would disable all that and see if normal login works again. Then reinstall the jsconnect.

Look at the Paths for all these and check that they are correct. If you could look at the cgi error log and post the error messages that would help a lot.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Have you checked the htaccess for both WP and Vanilla?

If you can't disable the plugin via the dashboard, you can do it via the config.php then after it is disabled you remove it. Sometimes if you don't disable before removal the settings stay enabled.

I would disable all that and see if normal login works again. Then reinstall the jsconnect.

Look at the Paths for all these and check that they are correct. If you could look at the cgi error log and post the error messages that would help a lot.

You know what, I think the .htaccess may have something to do with this. I'll take a closer look there. Normal log in on both web sites still works. It's logging into the vanilla forum with wordpress credentials that is giving me a headache. Thanks for the response! I'll let you know what I find out.

• Alright, after looking, as far as I can tell, the .htaccess files are okay. What's even more puzzling is it's not generating any messages in the httpd log files. I mean, I'm not really 100% sure what I'm looking for in my .htaccess to determine if it's working right, but I think it is.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You could try sharing your .htaccess file here. It might help. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited May 2013

@hgtonight said:
    You could try sharing your .htaccess file here. It might help. :D

That's too easy. The file is in my Wordpress directory.

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

END WordPress

We need your Vanilla .htaccess file as well.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited May 2013

@hgtonight said:
    We need your Vanilla .htaccess file as well.

You know, I knew that. I'm not sure why I left that off. Let me fix that...

Modified

>

""

>

RewriteEngine On

>

# Certain hosts may require the following line.

>

# If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.

>

# (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)

>

RewriteBase /forum

>

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

>

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

>

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

>

Now, I should mention, I just modified it to un-comment the RewriteBase line and change it to the /forum as my vanilla installation is located in the /forum subdirectory in my main web file.

@pianoman201 said:
    Now, I should mention, I just modified it to un-comment the RewriteBase line and change it to the /forum as my vanilla installation is located in the /forum subdirectory in my main web file.

Did that fix your issue?

Search first

• edited May 2013

@hgtonight said:
    Did that fix your issue?

No, unfortunately it did not. Also, I can't get a couple of the lines of code to show, and I don't know how to do that. Again, complete noob. It's also 1 in the morning here, and I have work in the morning. However, I did find the solution to a couple of the other problems, and I will post the solution to that later.