Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Upgrading within 2.1 versions

I previously asked this question in the 2.1 announcement topic but I thought it deserves its own topic, I probably am not the only one upgrading between versions of a previous Github version to the current 2.1b1:

Trying to upgrade from a previous Github version. Is there a different way of upgrading 2.x to 2.1? These instructions don't quite work as the /utility folder does not exist nor does the /index.php?p=/utility/update page:
http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Upgrading
I tried to copy over my config settings, but those are then just prefilled in the install screen.

@peregrine already gave some feedback:
I don't have an answer for you - but there is no utility folder that is necessary in 2.0.18.8
it is in applications/dashboard/controllers/utilitycontroller.php
A file with the same also exists in 2.1b1.
With that said. I posed this question 3 or 4 time over the last 6 months. Has anybody upgraded their database from 2.0.18.x to 2.1 (other than manually). I don't recall getting an answer.

Comments

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2013

What I did for a client who wanted to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 was use Vanilla Porter to export his existing data to a fresh installation of 2.1 - worked a treat and all without having to mess around with the actual database.

As side note, the URL /utility/update doesn't mean that theres a folder called utility somewhere in your installation - it's simply a route pointing to a controller named utility and its

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

...method Update().

finishing @kasperisager's post. :)

I also use the Porter script whenever I am changing versions of Vanilla.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Cheers @hgtonight! Something went horribly wrong when I posted that comment :-)

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Thanks @kasperisager ! I actually did use the same script when importing my PhpBB (via Vbulletin) forum to Vanilla 2.0 and that worked pretty well. Will try here.

• OK, Porter on 2.1b1 worked well here! Thanks again.