Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Earning money with a forum

Is it permitted to earn money with a Vanilla Forum?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

You may be able to keep the first million dollars, after that, you need to read the specific GPL license that come with the vanilla source code :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Well if you mean with your forum , then yes. You are using the software just to build the forum. It is not affiliated with your business so you are free to make money on your forum. You just can't sell the software itself that makes the forum.

But you can sell anything from your forum.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited April 2013

From my understanding, you could even sell the software. I don't see anyone buying it from you, but you are able to try. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@peregrine said:
    You may be able to keep the first million dollars

Wow that is very generous of them too bad the taxman is not :(

@hgtonight said:
    From my understanding, you could even [sell the software] I don't see anyone buying it from you, but you are able to try. :D

Yea why buy the cow when the milk is free ?

@vrijvlinder said:
    Yea why buy the cow when the milk is free?

Why buy the cow when the cow is free? ;)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@hgtonight said

@vrijvlinder said: Yea why buy the cow when the milk is free?

Why buy the cow when the cow is free? ;)

which leads to...

why cow? what is free? when cow?

on to existential thought.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

the idea with the cow in this story, is that it is everyone's cow to be able to get milk from

$Definition['SacredCow']='Vanilla';

• Why buy free?, when the cow is milk? oh wait....

Maybe, maybe soon after summer "i mean" i make a big community forum proyect and try to win some money with this. U can use the forum for earn money but cant sell the "software forum" for earn money.. And anyway sell free and gpl soft.. is a bit "rat".

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Konquet said:
    U can use the forum for earn money but cant sell the "software forum" for earn money.. And anyway sell free and gpl soft.. is a bit "rat".

You can sell the forum software, if you find someone willing to buy it. @hgtonight is right, one is free to try (GPL and other OS licences explicitly state that you are free to sell software covered by such licences, and anyone who gets it from you is free to do the same).

Of course, nobody would buy from you something that could be obtained free of charge somewhere else, unless they didn't know of the original source. Besides, a buyer would expect some sort of support. That's why, although one would be legally allowed to resell Open Source commercial themes for WordPress, extensions for Magento and so on, nobody does it (as far as I know). Ethics aside, if one resells a software that he doesn't know more than well, his reputation will take a significant hit when Users will realise that support is poor.

In my opinion, a much better model, both from an ethical and a business perspective, is selling a package which includes the software, the installation and a specific level of support. This way, one would not try to profit from someone else's work, but from his own knowledge. I think it's fair.

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

Okay Guys bids up!

First bid!

Second Bid!

Sold to that weird guy!

@Srggamer said:
    Sold to that weird guy!

you mean Kon? hehehe lol

• @vrijvlinder said:
    you mean Kon? hehehe lol

Im watching you now @vrijvlinder ! be carefull!

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

@konquet your one weird cookie

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@UnderDog said:
    Please sir, tell me how to make money.
    Step by step.
    please sir!

please sir!

pmsl

I'll give you a tip - don't depend on donations. :)

@UnderDog said:
    Please sir, tell me how to make money.
    Step by step.
    please sir!

1.Make several websites that claim to know the secret of making money.

2.Write a book about the websites that claim to know the secret to making money and sell it on your websites.

3.Call your websites " Step by Step" guide to making money off your website.

4.Deny people from reading the content of your sites until they made a Donation....

http://www.webmoneyguy.com

@peregrine said:
    I'll give you a tip - don't depend on donations.

You can't imagine how much I would like that to be untrue...

@businessdad said:

4.Deny people from reading the content of your sites until they made a Donation....and or require activation by Donation.

5.Make a defective product then charge to fix it ?

@businessdad said:

Same here. D:

Search first

@vrijvlinder said:
    5.Make a defective product then charge to fix it ?

Such practice is way too common, and it's even more unethical than reselling OS Software. From my perspective, that's pure and simple fraud. The worse you make it, the more money Users will have to pay to make it work. No bueno.