HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Introducing [fup] - Fast uploader

lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

When I'm working on a plugin or a theme I need to upload files very often (every time a feature is completed). Transferring manually using filezilla, plain ssh or ftp can be enough fast, but when you have many and many projects this operation can be painful: remember remote user, remember remote path, remember to exclude some files...

FUP
Fup is a shell script to automate parametric upload ( paths, host, exclude ). By now support only ssh.

Example with vanilla plugin project
This is a .fup file for a plugin that I'm developing for a customer, placed inside the plugin directory /home/lifeisfoo/dev/plugins/my-plugin

SSH_USR_HOST=user@example.com
SSH_PORT=65100
REMOTE_DIR=public_html/plugins
EXCLUDED_DIRS=compiler
EXCLUDED_FILES=js/compiled.js

When I launch fup from the plugin directory, the entire directory is uploaded to user@example.com:public_html/plugins. If the remote dir public_html/plugins/my-plugin doesn't exists it will be created. Is fast because the directory is bzipped before upload and extracted on the remote machine.

Docs, download and fork
https://github.com/lifeisfoo/fup

I hope you'll enjoy it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Tagged:

Comments

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

That is super cool - great job @lifeisfoo! I've personally been using the GitFTP Python script myself (https://github.com/ezyang/git-ftp) whenever I'm deploying Git projects hosted on servers without SSH access. FUP would be a great alternative to GitFTP for projects not under version control - been looking for something like that for quite a while. Thanks!

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Just to share my workflow, I use FileZilla to edit the remote file. When I save, the changes are automatically uploaded to my remote host. Works a treat for testing on 'production intent' servers.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    This is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Just to share my workflow, I use FileZilla to edit the remote file. When I save, the changes are automatically uploaded to my remote host. Works a treat for testing on 'production intent' servers.

FireFtp also does this, but I don't like the idea of local copy getting out of sync, except for minor conf. It is better to have some sync routine.

ssh based script is the way to go.

grep is your friend.

• lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

@x00 said:
    ssh based script is the way to go.

Yes. Also because if you need other command to be executed before upload, this can be achieved easily (compile less, minify/unify/js, auto-commit, etc).

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

Cant wait!

• lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

@Srggamer I will appreciate any advice/feedback.

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

@lifeisfoo said:
    Srggamer I will appreciate any advice/feedback.

Anytime!