Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it responsible (Responsive)*

edited April 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi

I love the colors it looks very beutiful. May i ask you if is it responsible.

Thanks

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Responsible? Do you mean responsive?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Themes are the most fickle and irresponsible . They just sit there and pretend to look good !!

• yes, sorry about my terrible mistake.................Responsive is what i´ve tried to write. I was very irresponsible writing such a nonsense. Maybe the 5:00 AM factor, i don´t know...

• 422422 Developer MVP

In responsible to your unresponsible theme, thankfully someone changed the forum title which is very responsive of them. If you dont get any responsibles today, perhaps ask the author responsive for creating the theme.

best of luck

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LOL haha fantastic

• It is not responsive. I kept the default width for the content area, 960px. The header, including the logo and menu, will expand infinitely, but it's minimum width is 960px.

• Thank you cbaber. I´m trying to find some nice responsive themes and please consider doing one in the future :-)

Thanks for your DIRECT answer.

@wilsoncortez

I have some themes that are responsive/Dynamic. Glass, RedWood, DeepSea (php) and the embed friendly ones based on tpl, Tiny-Embed-Friendly, Purple-Haze and I am making a yellow embed friendly.

• @wilsoncortez said:
    Thank you cbaber. I´m trying to find some nice responsive themes and please consider doing one in the future :-)

Thanks for your DIRECT answer.

I may in the future, however I really see no need for it. By default Vanilla's 960px content area looks great on everything but a smartphone screen. I have personally never been a fan of mobile sites. I always use desktop versions, even on my smartphone. Call me biased, but the whole "mobile version" is not relevant considering how fast mobile internet is, and how easy smartphone browsers have become to use.

In mobile sites instead of scrolling side to side to find things you can't see, you need to scroll for what seems like forever vertically. Furthermore, if you are used to browsing a particular website on a desktop, forcing a mobile version for your smartphone means you need to relearn the site to find what you need. Overall, I find the entire experience of mobile themes is not worth the effort of making seperate themes.

edited April 2013

@cbaber said:
    I find the entire experience of mobile themes is not worth the effort of making seperate themes.

:(
    I make mobile themes, The latest version of Mobile has more features and looks better. I don't think it is a waste of effort at all. If you make it good people will use it and like it.

The default theme is very barebones even with font-size. But that can be said of the default desktop too.

It is a matter of taste I guess. Some people like very wide themes others want wary narrow. It is hard to please everyone unless you make a variety.

Since I enjoy the creative process, I enjoy making themes for anything. :)

• I have personally never been a fan of mobile sites.
    mee too so that´s why i´m now becaming fan of responsive layouts as they look good on any device without the need of lot of scripting, etc.

As a simple example take a look on this nice and clean theme for phpbb:
    artodia.com/demo/phpbb30/index.php?style=16 and of course play with it resizing the browser window, That´s why i love the concept you know? Good in any device.

Anyway thanks for your time :-)

@wilsoncortez

Well then you should try Glass, It look good even on a mobile, and you can change the whole look just by changing the background color or image.

@cbaber
    Your theme is nice too :)

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Since I enjoy the creative process, I enjoy making themes for anything. :)

It's just my opinion about mobile themes. Mobile vs. responsive is a different thing. Responsive allows the content to be compressed for smaller screens. But, like I said, my theme and the stock Vanilla theme are 960px wide and that looks fine on tablets, desktops, and everything but smartphones.

It wouldn't be difficult to make the theme responsive. I might explore that option in the theme I am working on right now.

• @vrijvlinder
    Thanks I will

@cbaber
    we´ll be tuned :-)