Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Looking to sponsor a new Polls plugin

50sQuiff50sQuiff ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'd like to sponsor the creation of a comprehensive new Polls plugin. Is anyone interesting in a) doing the work or b) contributing to the pot? Basic spec would be:

• Polls created via New Discussion form
  • Poll creation form revealed once 'Poll' option is checked
  • Polls to appear inline below Discussion body (ie. first post in a given thread)
  • Show results upon poll completion or via "Show Results" toggle
  • Simple, clean results presentation: number of votes, coloured bars, percentages.
  • Support for 'multiple selection' polls to be configured at creation time. eg. members can select up to 3 options from 5
  • Ability to pose multiple questions in each Poll (ie. multiple polls)
  • Permissions integration for poll creation
  • Compatible with 2.0 and 2.1
  • Emphasis on performance and stability

Please can potential devs PM me their price. Bear in mind this is a sponsorship for a freely-distributed community plugin, so I don't expect to pay developer day rates!

Can you also PM me if you're interested in being a co-sponsor.

Regards,
Quiff

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited May 2013

This would definitely be a great asset to the community!

My 2 cents:

• I think the fact that the plugin will be freely-distributed should not lessen the cost.
    • I think interested people could pledge, publicly, what they would contribute.
    • I would be interested in helping

Oh, and I pledge $10 to this project.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I'm in for $10 too.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2013

Bear in mind this is a sponsorship for a freely-distributed community plugin, so I don't expect to pay developer day rates!

Why? Hours are hours, you can't magic up extra hours in the day. Why do you think that releasing make a difference? If you pay fixed price they will account for liability, if they are smart.

Few give full copyright over to client anyway and that usually is many times more.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    50sQuiff50sQuiff ✭✭
    edited May 2013

How a comment that says "hours are hours" and completely ignores the nuances of the situation gets an "Insightful" reaction I'm not sure.

If I wanted to keep my code proprietary, I'd just pay a developer at his normal day rate. He would build it for me but he would have no rights to use it. It would never be distributed and he wouldn't be keeping any rights. Anyone letting him do so is a wimp.

Where a developer wants to pursue a project for his own ends, (let's say you've always wanted a proper Polls plugin), the community sponsorship model allows his work to be subsidised. Such a model needs the interests of a community and developer to be aligned of course. But I suspect this was the case with many of your own plugins, otherwise why would you release them?

I've got a ton of business development, commercial and project management experience. If I was to volunteer to lead a community project, the idea that I would bill my normal rate to the community is absurd. But if I wanted to do it anyway, and so did the community, then it's good to have one's time subsidised, risk shared and hard work recognised.

Back to the topic: the new Vanilla Polls plugin. Who's in?

Based on the above thread-derail, I should clarify. Are there any developers who are keen to build a polls plugin for their own use, but would like to be paid by me (and the rest of the Vanilla community at large) to release it publicly?

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2013

But I suspect this was the case with many of your own plugins, otherwise why would you release them?

You can't assume.

I rarely do proprietary. I either don't release (SaaS), or I release at some point, becuase it make business sense. Others disagree. It is a fine balance.

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with licences, or rights it has everything to do with remuneration.

Don't really know what you mean "day rate". If they are working freelance, then that is how they get paid if they have some other job, then they are free to offer hobby rates.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    50sQuiff50sQuiff ✭✭
    edited May 2013

If you developed a plugin without sponsorship and released it publicly, I can indeed assume that in the first instance, you had a rationale to develop it for your own ends. Therefore you could say your interests and the community's were aligned.

By day rate I mean standard undiscounted commercial rate that you tender for a given project. But then you knew that anyway, right? :)

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2013

Most of the plugins I have released have been sponsored. Sponsors are clients like any other client.

There are no "day rates", as far I'm concerned.

The rates is not discounted, they are just not paying for proprietary software or transference of rights.

Anyway lets leave it at that and agree to disagree.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited May 2013

@50sQuiff I have no need for most plugins. I wouldn't even use this plugin. I find value in enriching this wonderful community.

What do you pledge?

I will gladly start prototyping this upon a public pledge of $100 or more.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.