Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to customize default theme of 2.1b1?

Comments

• Hello Guys,

Need some help. I want to put Site Description below Logo/Site Title but couldn't find theme tag to put into. Can somebody show me?

Thank you

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@donbilet

Try reading through the Wiki entry on Custom Themes for 2.1

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Custom_Themes_1

If you use Firebug for Firefox, or similar inspect tools in other browsers, you will be able to identify the declarations you need to change.

• @whu606

Thank you for the link, but I couldn't find it there.

Here is an example what I asked for: when you put {searchbox} it will show search box. I want to show up Site Description. What need to put? Something like {description} or something else?

Sorry for my bad English. Thanks

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@donbilet said:
    whu606

Thank you for the link, but I couldn't find it there.

Here is an example what I asked for: when you put {searchbox} it will show search box. I want to show up Site Description. What need to put? Something like {description} or something else?

Sorry for my bad English. Thanks

you get another link to add to your toolbox of learning.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/163138/#Comment_163138

I don't know about a site description variable. Is there one?

You can your own text with html tags.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine

Thanks for the link. I forgot to mention, I installed Vanilla 2.1b1. Yes, there is a Site Description, I just don't know the tag for it.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I think you should know that pretty much all themes can be made to work with 2.1
    here is an example of my theme Glass adapted for 2.1 , if you like it , download the theme and switch out the css file for the one in this link. Just click view source and and click on the css file and copy the contents. Use firebug browser extension to achieve this.

http://fumamx.org/foro

You could also make a banner with the logo and the site info all in one image. Or you can add the info to your default.master.php

after the < div id="Head" > you can add another div

< div class="info" > your site info < /div >

if you are using 2.1 then all you do is type it in the text box no?

keep in mind the site description comes out above the content not under the banner. You would have to modify...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

The site description in vanilla 2.1 is fed into the meta tag

content="this is the description"

Site Description
    The site description usually appears in search engines. You should try having a description that is 100–150 characters long.

$Configuration['Garden']['Description'] = 'this is the description xxxxxxxxx';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @vrijvlinder

Thanks.

I know how to put html or customize css. Which I don't know is the smarty tag for Site Description. Example, when you put {searchbox} it will produce Search Box. Another example, if you put {logo} it will produce logo or Site Title (All in default.master.php).

if you are going to put it in a tpl then you would use a smarty tag or html tag, if you are using a php based theme you put it in an html or php echo

What are you using ? php or tpl ?

either way it is the same thing you just put the straight html in there. with your info

the tpl

< div class="Head" id="Head" >
             < div class="Row" >
                < strong class="SiteTitle" >< a href="{link path="/"}" >{logo}< /a >< /br >< p >The site information you want under the logo< /p >< /a >< /strong >

< div class="SiteSearch" >{searchbox}< /div >

in order for a smarty tag to work it has to exist. I don't know that {SiteInfo} exists you would need to place that in the smarty library, look in library vendors smarty and you will see all the functions it does and how the tags are fetched.

If there is no tag create it

php

<? php echo '< p >The site information you want under the logo< /p >';?>

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@donbilet said:

I know how to put html or customize css. Which I don't know is the smarty tag for Site Description. Example, when you put {searchbox} it will produce Search Box. Another example, if you put {logo} it will produce logo or Site Title (All in default.master.php).

$Configuration['Garden']['Description'] = 'this is the description xxxxxxxxx';

if you have above in conf.php

add this to your default.master.tpl

{$_Description}

additionally - if you need to find other variables use this.

you can use 

{debug}   in  default.master.tpl 

to find all the variables -

I think the new version of smarty has done away with my previous suggesting as far as debugging.

• @vrijvlinder

That was exactly I did before.

@peregrine

{$_Description} is what I am looking for and it works.

Thank you for both of you.

Is there an encyclopedia for these $Configurations? Enquiring minds need to know ...

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

I usually find what I need here:

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/blob/master/conf/config-defaults.php

Although it looks like description was removed ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

read the whole discussion in the link below and you will understand why there isn't any documentation.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171978/#Comment_171978

yea I mean I have those but seems there are "Hidden" $Configurations only privy to a special few lol

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited June 2013

@Lincoln said:
    So, internally, we regard all these config settings as bogus . We don't really want to compile a reference list, we want to create an awesome interface that allows these changes without it becoming the vBulletin mission control crazy admin panel. It's a difficult problem, but we're working on it.

Well if it works why break it ? I have been compiling my own list. Did not have that one though , good job p , one more for the list of bogus but good

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@peregrine said:

read the whole discussion in the link below and you will understand why there isn't any documentation.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171978/#Comment_171978

Makes sense. Still be nice to have the "bogus" configs :)