HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Searching on this forum

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited June 2013 in Feedback

@Lincoln

I like the searching better a few days ago (an you revert back please), which had multiple pages for searched item and actually was the best incarnation I had seen in over a year. Seemed to work great. The auto complete that was recently added now seems to muck things up though in my opinion.

e.g.

try searching for the word aardvark. it can't be found now!

which is in this discussion
http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/162963/#Comment_162963

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I think its better to have this auto completion while putting title in new discussion.

Older search was better.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@peregrine I think you know as well as anyone we don't "revert", we iterate. :) We did swap out search with a new solution that will definitely work better once the kinks are ironed out. If you have other suggested test cases to help us refine it, let us know.

pinging @Todd to have a look

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited June 2013

I learnt a lesson when I thought it was broke. You need to be patient with the auto-complete. Sometimes the results show up, you just need to give it time to think. If that fails you can use the site operator from Google. i.e: type in Google search box: site:vanillaforums.org and then add the term you need.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@Limcoln said:

We did swap out search with a new solution that will definitely work better once the kinks are ironed out. If you have other suggested test cases to help us refine it, let us know.

I think you know as well as anyone we don't "revert"

my faux pas.
    reversion is futile! iterations will be assimilated.

Thx, for looking at it @Todd (I guess the hot potato is in your hands).
    I understand you are will be ironing out kinks, just wasn't sure you were aware.

if you type in a letter e.g.

it will find discussions that have t with a space behind it. like words "won't", it won't find words like "this".

it won't find "test cases" on anything with more than one word.

I'm sure you guys are aware.

what would be nice is any word in search would be ANDED with the next word or in a less optimal case at least treat "test cases" as finding contiguous words.

The only way to select a search is if you choose one of the 5 or less options presented to you.

A few days ago, I could search for "some word" for example and it would list numerous pages of discussions where "some word" existed in the thread. To me, this is the optimal. Being able to search way back without previous limitation of two pages of discussions or the current (show few autocompletes that match on end of word).

I can type in test!case and test&case - it will find some test case discussions but not this one.

Perhaps when you get it ironed out. we need to know the search "rules" syntax, and what it theoretically should do.

-4 A possible addition once you iron it out, is have the search box available from the discussion controller pages as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@adriansonline said:
    I learnt a lesson when I thought it was broke. You need to be patient with the auto-complete. Sometimes the results show up, you just need to give it time to think. If that fails you can use the site operator from Google. i.e: type in Google search box: site:vanillaforums.org and then add the term you need.

Thx. but ......
    it is still broke with autocomplete, if you read my previous message. and yes I've been promoting google site operator for eons, My case still stands :)

@peregrine. I don't disagree. I ran into an issue myself. In my case I was just impatient on autocomplete and clicked search. If I waited for the auto-complete, it found the thread I sought. As for your other searches I agree it's not working as intended. I just wanted to post the operator trick for others, that might come find this thread :)

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I would like the search on the profile bookmarks page to target the bookmarks . I have collected several pages now and find it hard to find them sometimes....

Yea the search is not working even if I use the title of the discussion I am looking for. The search was very useful to me when helping people here. It worked just by using the question as a search basis.... now no :(

I side with peregrine, re-iterate that puppy !! Pretty Please with sugar on top ?!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder

I would like the search on the profile bookmarks page to target the bookmarks . I have collected several pages now and find it hard to find them sometimes....

this would be an excellent and helpful feature and one of the best suggestions yet
    aside from the basic search capabilities :)

+1 for the searching bookmarks. That would be very helpful.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

There was a miscommunication in uploading the search config and I'm not making Tim fix it on his weekend so search is actually broken right now. Search will be much better when the template is updated.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

thanks for fixing - limiting by author is a pretty nice feature too!

and i can find aardvark now.