Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can I make the backgroud of the Grayscale Green theme transparent?

I'm using the embed feature to place this forum on my WordPress site. The Grayscale Green theme has a white background that shows up on top of my WordPress background. How can I make the background of the Grayscale Green theme transparent so that the only background that shows is my WordPress background?

Comments

• Embed uses an iframe that is embed dynamically.

you need to edit the script to add allowtransparency="true" to the iframe. Then you need to ensure your theme has a transparent background.

alternatively you could use this dynamic script.

jQuery('iframe').on('load',function(){$(this).attr('allowtransparency','true');});

grep is your friend.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The script already has that by default x00, they are trying to embed a theme that is not adjustable and is too wide.

But they need to catch up on css and where the custom.css is etc.

I suggested one of my themes that are adjustable. They contacted the author of this theme but has not gotten back to them.

I dislike having to offer support for someone else's theme, I think it is their responsibility . However I will help with what I can , I will be gone most of the day today though.

• I didn't bother to check it to be honest.

best use "liquid" themes for embed.

grep is your friend.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    The script already has that by default x00, they are trying to embed a theme that is not adjustable and is too wide.

But they need to catch up on css and where the custom.css is etc.

I suggested one of my themes that are adjustable. They contacted the author of this theme but has not gotten back to them.

I dislike having to offer support for someone else's theme, I think it is their responsibility . However I will help with what I can , I will be gone most of the day today though.

Assuming they are using embedvanilla

document.write('<iframe id="vanilla'+id+'" name="vanilla'+id+'" src="'+vanillaUrl(currentPath)+'"'+optStr('height', ' scrolling="no"', '')+' frameborder="0" border="0" width="'+optStr('width', '100%')+'" height="'+optStr('height', 1000)+'" style="width: '+optStr('width', '100%', '%spx')+'; height: '+optStr('height', 1000)+'px; border: 0; display: block;"></iframe>');

no transparency tag there

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2013

why should the author have to change his theme to suit this guy needs? If he has a fixed width theme that is what it is.

If the author wants to help that is their prerogative.

grep is your friend.

@Tama

please look inside the embed.js to see the default

return result.replace(/\?/g, '&').replace('&', '?'); // Replace the first occurrence of amp with question.
       }
       var vanillaIframe = document.createElement('iframe');
       vanillaIframe.id = "vanilla"+id;
       vanillaIframe.name = "vanilla"+id;
       vanillaIframe.src = vanillaUrl(currentPath);
       vanillaIframe.scrolling = "no";
       vanillaIframe.frameBorder = "0";
       vanillaIframe.allowTransparency = true;
       vanillaIframe.border = "0";
       vanillaIframe.width = "100%";
       vanillaIframe.style.width = "100%";
       vanillaIframe.style.border = "0";
       vanillaIframe.style.display = "block"; // must be block

@x00 said:
    why should the author have to change his theme to suit this guy needs? If he has a fixed width theme that is what it is.

yes I explained to them in a pm they sent me, that the author himself said his themes are full static width and he does not make adjustable ones and is not interested in making them embed friendly.
    That means who ever uses them are on their own if they want to embed. Which is fair I suppose.

However I must draw the line if it comes to redesigning the theme for them, since I did not make the theme.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    Tama

please look inside the embed.js to see the default

Hmm strange, when initially using embedvanila in 2.018 the background was white :/

Edit: When using remote.js the background is not transparent

Because it takes the color from the css or the html container. Also once an object iframe is embedded the background can be designated by the place it was embedded in.

For example, you know your iframe and theme have transparent bg. But there is still a white bg or other color, that may be controlled by the style from where you embedded.

You can set an embedded object, iframe background in the css for the place you embedded in. If it's wp then in the wp-css of the theme you use.

Even if the object has a a background. But remember that the container is an html document so the background of the iframe is/can be tied to the background of the html body color.

You can change this by adding html,body{color:purple;or image url } or transparent.

But transparent will yield the default color of the about blank container from the browser. The only way to affect it is by giving it a color or bg image.

@Tama said:
    Edit: When using remote.js the background is not transparent

There is no background colors designated in the remote.js only sizes but they are controlled by the embed.js, three files are called , remote.js, embed.js, local.js you can find the embed.js in the js folder.

If you want to change the background color of an iframe you can use

html, body.iframe on the css of the theme where you embedded vanilla. You can specify more using the id of the vanilla embed

html, body.iframe#vanilla-idnumber

• @x00 said:

When you publish an opensource theme to an opensource community it ought to be expected that you will get feedback and feature requests. In fact, most authors publish their code to opensource communities just to get feedback and suggestions on how to improve the functionality of their items.

Moreover, the options I inquired about are no doubt options several others are likely interested in. Making a theme embed friendly and it's background transparent are rather basic, very generic, highly sought features. So the author of this theme answering my query regarding those things are not just "changes to suit my needs", but surely will benefit the needs of many others. And isn't that what opensource is all about???

Yes true, but some people do not offer any support for their themes. It is not a requirement . I offer support on all my themes. I personally feel I need to, they(my themes) are like children to me and like to know how they are doing :)

• And that's why you're a great developer, @vrijvlinder. Thanks for all your help!

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@HCE

The point about publishing an opensource theme is that other users are free to alter it any way they like.

Expecting the author to customise it for you is simply not reasonable.

@vrijvlinder

I think there is a big difference between offering support for a theme/plugin, which to my mind means that you make sure it works the way you intended, and accepting requests for custom modifications.

I think there is a reasonable expectation that an author would respond to the first, but not to the second.

• @whu606 - I didn't ask the author of this theme to customize it for me. I submitted an inquiry to the community for tips and suggestions on enhancing the theme. And those enhancements I inquired about were very basic, general features that would benefit the whole community. They were not highly specialized features specific only to my particular use. Any and Everyone would benefit from this theme being embed friendly.

Further, "Open source code is typically created as a collaborative effort in which programmers improve upon the code and share the changes within the community." Improving upon the code to benefit the community was exactly the basis of my query. Perhaps those who thought my query was unreasonable are the ones who missed the point and purpose of opensource...

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@HCE

Good luck with your site.

I won't be responding to any more of your posts.

• @HCE chill out, you misunderstood, I simply said he shouldn't be expected to. I didn't mean to imply that you wanted him to.

Please note that as far as I understand themes an plugin can be licence under any arrangement, I have asked for clarification specifically on this issue.

Don't assume the licence is under GPL or vanilla. In this case it appears so.

Although GPL, mandates that plugins should be also licenced under the same arrangement, individual project can use their own discretion, on this.

grep is your friend.

• @whu606 - Thank you! I'll be sure not to respond to any of your posts as well.

@x00 - I'm chill. lol I wasn't under the impression that you were implying so, but @whu606 directly said so. He said that is was "not reasonable" for me to "expect the author to customize [the theme] for [me]". But I didn't ask nor expect the author to customize the theme for me. I asked the community how I could make the background transparent. I'm not sure how any reasonable person could find that simply query unreasonable, regardless of the license...

Nonetheless, thanks to those who added value to this thread!

• I'll add some value to this thread : jump off your high WordPress horse and change your attitude just a little. As soon as you've made the changes you think are necessary, good luck checking them and see if they are CSS- and Iframe- proof. I hope for you by the time this thread is over, someone will still be responding to you. Good luck with that

• I would google "liquid theme" or "liquid layout", for a theme that is embed friendly. I would also specifically look at the embed friendly theme. Although it is basic it covers the basic of make a them fit the embed scenario.

grep is your friend.

This discussion has been closed.