HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Question to vanilla developers - my possible future reactions plugin-addon

@Lincoln and @Todd - you guys were ok with the development of a badges plugin. How do you feel about development of a reactions plugin, would it be infringing on your business model.
Also, is it ok to use some of the same methods as in the reactionsstub plugin, as well as some of the sprites.

can the same sprites be used?
can some of the techniques from the stub be re-used?
and can some of the same css be used?

or would this be stepping over the bounds of proprietary things?

In summary, what and where would you disapprove?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Tagged:

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited June 2013

It's a good question, I second that as I would be interested in knowing that too. :)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2013

If it's in core, it falls under the GPL2 and is fair game for extension. So, if a sprite is in core, you can use it; if it's not, you can't. (Edit for clarity: By extension, using the same method names to hook in is fine, too)

We don't have any issue with open source duplication of hosted features. Kasper's API project falls in a similar category.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2013

Caveat: Please do not re-use our plugin names so we don't have confusion. So, don't call the plugin "Reactions" in this case.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

just to clarify @Lincoln.

sprites and css and code in here would NOT be considered core and would not be considered GPL2

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/plugins/ReactionsStub/
    as well as some of the plugins in vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/plugins/
    because it is not in Releases Downloads.

if and when my plugin becomes available it will be PeregrineReactions :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@businessdad

is this your interpretation - semantics are tough for me.

sprites and css and code in here would NOT be considered core and would not be considered GPL2

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/plugins/ReactionsStub/

as well as some of the plugins in vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/plugins/

because it is not in Releases Downloads.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Can I please develop sprites, css and images for this upcoming plugin?

Please.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@aery said:
    Can I please develop sprites, css and images for this upcoming plugin?
    Please.

get inline Babalu ! :)

• Yes you can develop sprites css for it. I'm trying to figure out the optimal reaction names

e.g. wow brilliant superb
    (lol for sure)
    best, etc.

then I'll tie it in with badges. But I'm still hoping for monetary pledges from at least 10-15 people.

How about :

wow, genius,lmao,super

• new thread.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I wish I can provide monetary support.

Here are some reactions suggestions - Adorable, Positive, Whatever, Naah

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @aery

I wish I can provide monetary support.

I do too :).

I started new thread for feedback on plugin itself, pledges, etc.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24065/looking-for-feedback-on-potential-peregrinereactions-plugin

this thread is more related to ethics , and the re-use of vanilla developers code.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I really don't know about ReactionStub; there's no license.

@Todd ?

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I guess that reactions stub would be considered open source. I do urge you to make your own flavour of reactions though even though that's not strictly required by any license. If you recall the recent uproar over mega6382 and his themes it seems to me like you guys really don't like complete knock-offs right?

• @Todd and @Lincoln - thanks for the feedback - I think I'm going to drop the project, but its good to know what you guys are thinking, what's ethical vas. what's legal. etc.

Even if the code wouldn't be a rip off from you guys - the functionality would (because you guys designed such a nice plugin). So, I'm going to drop it.

I have no great urge to write the plugin (even if I could struggle past a few issues) and there wouldn't be alot of financial sponsors. -so its pretty much a moot point.

On to the next great plugin - whatever that may be. :).

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@peregrine said:
    businessdad
    is this your interpretation - semantics are tough for me.

I believe that anything external to the code, like CSS and images, should not be considered under GPL, unless a "readme" of sort explicitly states that they are. This is a bit of hair splitting, but I think it's worth taking it into account.

Yes well check this out , I was doing some research to find the origins of these type of reactions and found this nice bit of info

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/deceased-programmer-invented-button-facebook-says-lawyer-1B8302021