Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Spaces in Usernames?

I'm using the current version of Vanilla, and I'm wondering if there's any way to add spaces in the names of users? It seems like there -should- be because there is a space in the name of this account.

Comments

• Current means 2.0.18.8 right? What happens if you test by creating user with space in username?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Try adding this to your config.php:

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationRegex'] = "\d\w_ ";

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭

^ I can confirm that this works on 2.1b.

• @Lincoln said:
    Try adding this to your config.php:

$Configuration['Garden']['User']['ValidationRegex'] = "\d\w_ ";

That worked.

Why does Vanilla not include this in the default? I'm curious.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Because it's on a need to know basis ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@iron squid said:
    Why does Vanilla not include this in the default? I'm curious.

I think because things break with usernames with spaces like this.
    try clicking on mention @iron squid - see if it works in this thread.
    so, its probably not recommended to have spaces if you want functionality with many things and plugins.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Yeah, mostly because of mentions. The same reason you can't on Twitter.

• Ok this makes sense. If I type @randomuser in a comment, does randomuser get alerted that someone mentioned him?

@peregrine said:

• see the next ten comments in this thread.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/184246/#Comment_184246

you probably never get notified because of your user name with spaces.

@iron squid

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2013

@iron squid said:
    Ok this makes sense. If I type randomuser in a comment, does randomuser get alerted that someone mentioned him?

Yes and it does this by default. The mention notifications can be turned off as well.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare said:
    Yes and it does this by default. The mention notifications can be turned off as well.

I've been playing on my vanilla site, and I'm not getting any notifications. If I do @testuser then login as "testuser", am I supposed to see that my username was mentioned somewhere?

Or am I misunderstanding how things work?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

what settings in your profile do you have in your notifications as far as mentions.

make sure popup is checked

Notify me when people mention me in discussion titles.
    Notify me when people mention me in comments.

try logging in from one browser (e.g. firefox as one user) and as admin in another browser (google) and try it that way.

@iron squid said:

I'm using the current version of Vanilla,

aha current version - that must be it :). does it by chance and have a version number associated with it :) may also help getting to the root of the issue.

• You might just have to configure the notifications preferences to work the way you want it to. You can set it globally for new users and users who have not changed their notifications with some lines in the config file, and you can set it for a single user account by going to the profile settings and go to the page with the notification preferences.

New notifications can show up as a popup or be emailed to the user depending on their notification preferences. It will also show up as a red notification bubble in the default theme in the user module in the sidebar.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app