HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to use Firebug

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
edited August 2013 in Tutorials

Firebug is a browser extension that allows you to edit live on the site and also to check for errors. It is an indispensable free tool that everyone must learn to employ.

I like this tool so much that it is virtually all I use to make and edit themes. Once you get the hang of it you will ask yourself why you did not use it sooner.

Here are a few videos that will help you learn how to make the best of this excellent tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_619736&feature=iv&src_vid=hqVUgioSMUo&v=6eTW8-C6_gk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVUgioSMUo

Comments

• Options
    SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

haha Use it all the time!

• Options
    lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

Personally I prefer Chrome inspector. Currently I'm using Safari inspector and seems to be also real powerful.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Yes anything is good , people must get their hands on this and use it. Post links to these alternatives please :)

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited June 2013

Great vrijvlinder, it's an important tool for every webdev! Also Chrome features a good Developer console... but @all... stay with Firefox. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

I use them both. I find Chrome is easier to find 404 issues, lost images, js not loading and firebug is easier with basic elements and css. So use the tool that best suits your objective.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Yes , I noticed that firebug is different on safari than firefox. They vary in advantages so sometimes I use both at the same time. I do prefer the one on safari because it shows me precisely all you have mentioned. 404 issues and js files not loaded or other asset problems. It works a bit faster that on firefox and allows for easier use in my opinion, but that may be from habit.

The moral to this is that I use it , you use it , we all use it , and we all scream for everyone to use it (or anything like it) :)

• Options

@vrijvlinder are there any specific advantages in using Firebug instead of Firefox Inspector?

At the moment I'm using it only to edit CSS styles.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@viceview51 Simply put, FireBug offers more in-depth tools for web development compared to the inspector.

That said, knowing how to use your tools is more important than which tools you use.

Firefox inspector is more than adequate for live editing CSS.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@viceview51 said:
    vrijvlinder are there any specific advantages in using Firebug instead of Firefox Inspector?

At the moment I'm using it only to edit CSS styles.

There are many inspectors available , the one with the most options is the best . It also differs from browser to browser. I do all my work on Safari and use firebug and all the other tools that safari has to offer. Then I use the other browsers to test my work. The firebug on firefox has it's good things like the color swatches when you hover over a hex color code. in Safari you get a little tiny square next to the color code. In firefox only when you hover but it is a bigger swatch.

In Safari all the panels are accessible easily and with less styling clutter, much like the inspector for chrome on the mac.

I think you need to try them all to find the one you prefer . But all will certainly be helpful.

@hgtonight said:
    That said, knowing how to use your tools is more important than which tools you use.

Very true :)

• Options

As Opera is my main browser, I use Dragonfly, which I think is very good:

http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/