Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Need help on new site :-)

Answers

• ok thank you, I'm going to try that!

One real big concern is when members comment on my site, i don't see in the (dash board) where their comments are, and how to delete them.

Most important i want to approve the comments first before they can comment on the site!

how do i do this?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hm that I would not know , Usually members can post and start new discussions, as far as I know there is no way to pre-approve a comment. This would require a plugin I think and I don't know of one. :(

• that's a major drawl back to my site! :-(

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder @magda I think what you are looking for is pre-moderation. There was a plugin for Vanilla 1. It's also available in the hosted version. (http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/fall-2012-release/)Unfortunately no addon is available for self hosted Vanilla 2 as of this moment...

@adriansonline I think it still works , in fact it was made for 2.0 in mind if you read the stuff in the default.php of the plugin, there are no version requirements either so it is entirely possible it still will work. If you have time try it out and remove the &$ replace with $ on all the files with functions .

http://vanillaforums.org/get/295-pre-moderation

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@vrijvlinder I should have looked closer at the code ;) I saw on the plugin landing page it said Vanilla 1 was a requirement and I went by that. Personally I'm not a fan of pre-moderation for forums because it kind of defeats the purpose of community. I just wanted to help @magda so she didn't miss out on a great software. Thankfully by your comments it should no longer be a barrier :D

• There is a moderation section in my dash board , im using vanilla v2, with the green theme by vrijvlinder, but there are no settings in there to activate it, there should be, this would have been very helpful to the users! approving comments before posting them is very important in the social sites!

I don't know how to make this happen, without a step by step please :-)

• thanks guys! :-)

• magdamagda New
    edited June 2013

The other thing is, where is my members list, there should be a place where people can look up member's and see who's online!

One thing you will find , as I did , that all these things are available as plugins , look for the plugins that may fit your needs, there is who's online, then versions of it and others , just make sure they are for vanilla 2 or at least the version you are using.

Your Members list is the Users list . go into the dashboard click the left hand link that says Users.

• where do i find them, and are they easy to install?

they install just like the themes but into the plugins folder. You will find the plugins in the addon section

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/plugins/recent/2/

• Is the plugin folder in the file manager?

• presses 'patience' button again

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• magdamagda New
    edited June 2013

ok i found the plugin folder, so i just upload it from my pc the downloaded plugin, then extract it in the plugin folder--and it will automatically be placed on my home page of my website? that easy?

• Also, on the home page, it says:Howdy, Stranger! How can i change that to: Welcome!

I searched for the word "howdy" nothing came up in the default.master.php or the custom.css.

Whats the difference between the default.master.php and the custom.css?

Ok first , after you upload the plugin you go to the dashboard and enable it . It is in a list of all the plugins in the plugins page. Just click enable to enable and disable to disable. Avoid removing them from the dashboard.

To change the words , you must learn about $Definitions . These are located in a locale file.

$Definition['Howdy, Stranger!'] = 'Welcome to our Community!'; $Definition['GuestModule.Message'] = "If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below!";

Look for the locales folder and find yours which is en-CA and add these lines in there.

also in the file manager.....

• thank you , i will try it out!

• I could not find a folder named= locale file. I looked under my file manager-then themes(green) i looked through all of them, nothing!

Could you give me a step by step, Am i looking in the wrong place?

... and is there a way to search for folders to make it easier? Thanks!