Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Share on Github so we can help Vanilla Cleanser fixes and improvements

How about putting this up on Github so we can help you make improvements, corrections?

For example, issues I found and had to clean up locally, which I would be happy to share:

• It doesn't exclude users who are being tracked by other plugins (ie., there are records in GDN_UserMeta). For example, users who have subscribed to threads using Email Subscribe are purged anyway, leaving GDN_UserMeta records behind.
  • The max records constant is also used as the skip count, these should be separated so it's easy to increase the number purged at once

You can still keep your donations link in there, we won't mind. :)

Comments

• (Sorry, this got posted twice because checking the Twitter box generated an oAuth error the first time).

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I want @peregrine to post it to github, just so I can stalk him on another site ;)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @got2code said:
    (Sorry, this got posted twice because checking the Twitter box generated an oAuth error the first time).

At a later time I can do the github deal. Once and if i learn how to use it.

can you post snippets of changes you made in the meantime.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• No time to learn like the present. :)
    Go here: https://github.com/
    Follow steps 1 and 2 to create public repository.
    Let me know the name of the repo, I'll join fork it, and add changes,
    You'll be able to see what changes I made exactly.

That will draw in other users to improve it as well.

• until that time you can just upload snippets of code here, and I'll diff and know exactly the changes and upload new plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• C'mon, you can do this @peregrine. Create the github repo, THEN you get get the snippets. :)

• I'm not just being contrary, it's better for everyone, especially you.

If you have a github handle, you'll eventually be more employable, employers can see your contributions and know you're a team player. (I know, I'm also an employer.)

You can post in this forum that it's available at github, and people will see it here or there, can instantly fork it and start adding changes, which you have full control over as the owner (whether/how changes are branched back in). It'll grow on its own.

Being able to modify a plugin like that makes people more confident in it.

You can easily add git to Eclipse of other IDEs and manage the projects there (this and all others).

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Github it is kind of neat that you can work on the code and update it remotely and it keeps the history of changes so one can compare. I am still trying to get it together but is cool. Although I did mess it up the first few times and had to delete and start over. I am sure @peregrine will find it easier . But if he does not want to get his git it is ok too everyone has their own system and it works for him.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

Github it is kind of neat that you can work on the code and update it remotely

yea, try it with a 256k connection, then tell me about it.

There are about 20 plugins written by other people that I pasted code changes to on this forum or uploaded a zip to the discussion page in the specific plugin directory. For some reason that worked also.

Frankly, being unwilling to just post the changes here in this discussion, is contrary. It would take 10 seconds to zip up the changes or just post snippets if you prefer.

maybe github is great, provided you have a good reliable connection. I don't. So, when I do have a good reliable fast connection, I will be there until then - you could post your zip or snippets.

There are lots of plugins out there that use the meta and create other tables. ****This plugin uses the standard delete within the vanilla core. maybe you should post your changes to the github vanilla core related to file deletions via the delete function of vanilla.****

You should move out of Uzbekistan and come to Mexico !!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

You should move out of Uzbekistan and come to Mexico !!

I'll need to brush up on my espanol.
    Me llamo Peregrine.
    If I improve spanish fluency,i will be on Github. Do they have acoustic couplers there, or will i have to upgrade.

my acoustic couple is on the "fritz"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_coupler

I read this line in the article...
    With luck one could get 300 baud (~bits/second) transmission rates.
    you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
    To answer that, Well, not really, my internet connection is not as good as in Uzbekistan.

Thank goodness, I don't have a forum and I don't have to use the cleanser plugin to get rid of spam messages. :) The key to preventing spam is to degrade your internet connection to 300 baud.

Me llamo Peregrine.

What? I though it was Don Peregrino .....

my acoustic coupler is on the "fritz"

Lmao It all would have been simpler had they redesigned the telephone instead of around the telephone... they were good to make that slamming sound when you hung up in anger and also to hit the table with it , or as a weapon ;)

• Have you ever thrown your cellphone on the floor to hang up? that would make a slamming sound, no?

I actually did a small sidewalk theater performance pretending I was talking to someone and fighting , then did just that, but with an older cell phone that was obsolete... no it's not that same thud sound , those old things were good to crack nuts and hammer nails in.

You just don't get the same sense of relief when slamming down a phone of today and chances are it won't survive more that one slamming. hehe

• ah a nutcracker, I know the experience.

Well look here ! now you can have the old feel again !!

Old Phone on Amazon

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I tried learning Git once. Had such terrible experience that I couldn't sleep all night.

SVN was so better.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@peregrine said:
    maybe github is great, provided you have a good reliable connection. I don't. So, when I do have a good reliable fast connection, I will be there until then - you could post your zip or snippets.

I am a huge proponent of git (not necessarily GitHub). In addition to all the great things about version control (built in backups, tracking changes, etc.), git is great because

a) The entire repository is self contained. No network access? No problem! Slow network access? Still no problem.

b) Committing is fast. Since the repo is self contained, no need to rely on external services to validate your commit. Everything is done locally.

c) Sharing code is dead easy. Since the repo is self contained, you can zip it up and pass it along. All your versioning history will still be there.

d) You you can push changes to remote repositories (think github, bitbucket, et. al.) pretty easily when you do have internet access.

There are many other reasons, but I regularly use git on my old laptop when I don't have access. I still get to work "safely" without internet access. :D

@aery said:
    SVN was so better.

Definitely personal preference. :D I found SVN to be horribly slow, but that might have been my employer's set up.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I just want to see how to get it into GitHub or Sourceforge (which supports SVN), I'm not giving ultimatums. SVN is simpler, works for me, doesn't handle lots of people or branches as well, but for this plugin SVN is just fine.

It's about the shared repository. Without that, this really useful plugin has a limited future. There's power in social. I'm 10x more likely to make future improvements that way, others too.

Is SourceForge/SVN possible @peregrine? It syncs only what's needed, so slow connection should work. TortoiseSVN is a lightweight way to manage with SVN: http://tortoisesvn.net/

I'm @got2code at both platforms, so you can invite me there.

It would be easier to bring the mountain to mohammed , so just post the dang code already at least as a token of sincerity and good will.

Trying to use extortion will not work I am sure. You need to bait the proposal with some dang snippets already . several posts later....no snippets :(

This discussion has been closed.