HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Tapatalks - Anyone is using "Build your own App"

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited July 2013 in General Banter

Hi alle,

For about two months i'm now testing the new Tapatalk BYO and just wanted to inform you that it is quite nice.

The Tapatalk team offers a Android and a iOS App for a subscription fee of about $39.- if you'd like to get an Android and iOS app version. What you get is a (in some ways) customizable Tapatalk app with your app-icons, colours or notification system. Test and App Store submit version can then be downloaded and set up on your own Apple or Android Developer/Distribution account.

From what i experienced the team is very very helpfull and their forum is full of tutorials if you're submitting an app for the first time. They also share new beta-version and as the iOS App has made a lot of design changes for better it was quite interesting to see what is coming upfront. Only the release could be managed better regarding language support. A lot of languages are only partly translated (they run a open translation system on crowdin.net where everyone can contribute) and it takes some time till they are taken to the core. Some bugs and glitches do even appear in the app, but from what i see this gets more seldom and the apps better.

Important to mention that there is also a setup fee of $99 dollars for the first app, but you can manage more forums in the BYO administration and you are not going to pay the setup fee again for them. Also AdMob, Google Analytics, Google DFP, App Ratings, iAd is supported for those interested in in app advertising.

The Vanilla branch is right now the weakest one as far as i can tell from the feedback in the tapatalk community.

If you have question just let me know, i think it's a very interesting add-on to your regular desktop andmobile site. A lot of people are hanging around in app stores and so i already had about some hundred downloads without doing a lot marketing for the app itself.

Anyone else using it?

Here is some info: http://tapatalk.com/build.php
Here is the support-forum: https://support.tapatalk.com/

Greetz

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• Options

i would rather have it outsourced on freelancer...the price is aa bit high to host the app. Maybe, offer one time fee for startups etc..

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited July 2013

Do you really think that $39 a month is high for continuous development for Android and iOS? Ieek, what are the hourly coding rates in your country. ;)
    App itself is not hosted you can download it and it's yours at that point.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I personally really dislike Tapatalk. That said, these are the reasons I would caution against using this custom application option.

I thought the appeal of Tapatalk is that a user only has to download one app and be able to visit all Tapatalk enabled forums? This custom app seems counter-intuitive in this regard.

With the built in ability to serve a different theme to mobile users, Vanilla is designed to support mobiles natively. This makes this feature redundant.

It is poor UX design to nag a user to download a one off application that provides no more function than the desktop/mobile site.

The bottom line is that this might make sense for your community.

Thanks for sharing @phreak :D

@phreak said:
    Ieek, what are the hourly coding rates in your country. ;)

LOL

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.