Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can Vanilla Team Approve Auto-Update Addon?

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder said:

no wonder they did not leave a tip when I told that to a restaurant patron in my waitressing days when they were leaving without tipping and asked for directions to the bus station!

if they asked for directions for the airport, that would have been even more humiliating. But at least they didn't ask for free side dishes after you served them.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@phreak said:

I've mentioned this more than once that the generousity can only come from a community that feels not opressed by the core team. So it's not a "community fault", it's an Open Source policy fault why developers have such a weak return of love and bucks.

I don't feel oppressed, I feel free and grateful to the Vanilla Developers who were kind enough and generous enough to offer their code open-source. I feel more "oppressed" by the take and run crowd who see fail to see value in using something and at the same time not making any contributions either in time or money, to further development of added value of themes and plugins.

maybe its time to close this thread too!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@peregrine: no, you don't understand. the reason of a OS community acts upon donation lies beneath what you think. see that it could work elsewhere, and this community doesn't even have a large scale as Vanilla has, it's mostly german for about 80% of the users of this OS tool. I've seen similar examples.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited June 2013

Funny. I was away and didn't see all this activity on this plugin of mine. I feel so special. To be honest development stopped for me because of many issues. At the time, I was told the core team would release something similar, and I did not have the bandwidth to support this add-on. @peregrine has pointed out some of the other reasons for me not revisiting this. It looks like a core add-on was never released, so maybe it's time to revisit this add-on.

On another note, I think the community has gotten much better/ stronger in last couple of years due to some great involvement from some key people. It has made releasing add-ons more enjoyable again. I still believe auto-update is a killer add-on which could make Vanilla adoption easier. I would love to work with the community to make this plugin work. Maybe it's time to relook at it again with fresh eyes. This is a add-on that will certainly require support from "the community", as I cannot do it alone. To make it easier, I have moved code to Github: https://github.com/adriansonline/Vanilla_AutoUpgrade

In the end, I do add-ons for the love of the software, not for income. If that were the case I would never have released it. When I release something, it's because I am using it for my needs, and I thought it could help others too. Anyway, I think we have strayed far from topic... but I wanted to add my two cents as the original add-on creator :)

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    peregrine said:
    yea phreak, verlassen das Geld und Fragen nach der! :)

I got totally confused my questions was does it work because the posts are mostly 3 years old or has it been abandon? I'm with Bluehost for my hosting, why i say i am not capable is i'm still learning only for the last 6 months.
    I have donated to BIZ Directory for his help and help to install. Which i don't mind doing but many plugins don't for me i would say 40% for one reason or another, two yesterday alone. Maybe it's me not knowing how two alter code unless it's very simple. I wanted sso but to me I don't a clue how to install and make it work. I was just the ideas man my son used to do all the coding until he climbed into a bottle of 6.4% Chang beer 6 months ago and can't get out. So i was left with the baby and had to learn very quickly.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2013

@DenisS Yes german can be very confusing .... even for the germans ;O

Maybe it's me not knowing how two alter code unless it's very simple.

That is normally the case when you are learning, some people learn faster than others. You just need to focus on getting one plugin to work at a time , they all fail for similar reasons...mostly misconfigurations like with the gallery plugin.

I was just the ideas man my son used to do all the coding until he climbed into a bottle of 6.4% Chang beer 6 months ago and can't get out.

I take that to mean your son became an alcoholic? that totally sucks I hope he recovers soon. And for the baby's sake too.

So i was left with the baby and had to learn very quickly.

Don't give up just have more patience and try to follow instructions. I had no idea about all this when I got involved but have learned. This software is easy to learn that is the great thing about it.

We will try to help as best we can but you also need to do some homework and google some stuff . I get results searching when I input the question I have as a parameter.
    even if it's the code itself or parts of it .

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@DenisS

With Bluehost, you have the option of updating Vanilla automatically.

They've made it a bit harder to find, but if you can log in and get to your Control Panel:

In the Mojo Marketplace list

select One Click Installs

Top right corner: click View My Installs

You should see Vanilla Forums listed.

If there is an updated version available it should give you an Upgrade link.

Click that and it should do everything for you.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

ok thanks whu606 I'll have a look,

• ChiprangChiprang New
    edited July 2013

@whu606 said:
    DenisS

With Bluehost, you have the option of updating Vanilla automatically.

They've made it a bit harder to find, but if you can log in and get to your Control Panel:

In the Mojo Marketplace list

select One Click Installs

Top right corner: click View My Installs

You should see Vanilla Forums listed.

If there is an updated version available it should give you an Upgrade link.

Click that and it should do everything for you.

@whu606m Thanks. I also use Bluehost and it works. @DenisS, Click on the Advanced and then you will get a pop up where you have to select which version you need to install.

However, when i tried to install BanApplicant Add-on (after upgrading it to Vanilla 2.0.18.4) I still get this message: BanApplicant is missing the following requirement(s): Vanilla 2.0.18.4. Could it be a cache problem?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Chiprang

Check what version of Vanilla is showing in your config.php file.

• I would not support, this unless all the infrastructure, repo, etc had a standard api.

Also as file management should not be done by script alone. You have to store your ftp/ssh credential like wordpress.

Actually you don't. Best practice is not to store, but to prompt. Then the client, if they wish to save some time, they could use a client side login/password management solution.

grep is your friend.

• No offence to @adriansonline but I suggest not using such software for the time there is a lot of details involved in a task such as this. It is one thing having you own automation, it is another thing rolling out a solution for everybody.

I think if there is going to be a solution, then the framework has to be at a stage that is ready to support this.

At the moment, upgrade instructions are more prudent, and emphasise responsibility of the webmaster, something that is often lost to convenience.

Many web software, never supports stuff like this, and it is never going to on the roadmap.

I'm not saying, it couldn't be a possibility, but the team has to be comfortable rolling it out. I can’t remember when wordpress got to this stage, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there from the start.

grep is your friend.

edited July 2013

@x00 I'm not offended and can't disagree with most points. I marked as an alpha release and that I made it for my own use. It worked for my needs and I decided to share as a way to start thinking/building one in the future. I was told at the time an auto-upgrade was coming officially, that's why I stopped developping it. I still think there is room for a tool for those who want one, but maybe I should add "for tinkering purposes only". Maybe I should request it be deleted and just keep it as a personal project. I respect your opinion and those of the major contributors here.

For now I will add a more "obvious" message that its not for the faint of heart.

• I think you could host it on github

grep is your friend.

@x00 it's on Github I posted that in the info :)

• What version does it say in index.php and your dashboard - out of curiousity.
    often the config.php won't be updated.

@peregrine, I am using 2.0.1.8. I'd like to request this thread be closed as it has gone way off topic... and I'd also like to have the add-on removed from the directory, so no more people download. That way I can continue to tinker on Github without worrying about someone mucking up their install :D

• @peregrine said:
    What version does it say in index.php and your dashboard - out of curiousity.
    often the config.php won't be updated.

@adriansonline
    I'm sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread. seriously.

edited July 2013

@peregrine no worries. It happens. I do think this thread, though has gone off the rails. It was necro posted about 10 posts back. It's time to let sleeping dogs lie :)