Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mobile Device - Cookies Required?

I generally keep cookies turned off in the browser of my Samsung phone.

I just discovered that the reason I could not log in to our just-created Vanilla-based Forum was due to that.

Is it possible to disable this requirement?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes you could , but cookies are what signs you in and keeps the user signed in. These are session cookies not like the cookies from trackers, so it's ok to allow these cookies.

It is similar to the way the bank cookies work, do you allow the bank cookies on your mobile ? I think you must or the site does not work , at least on mine that is how it works.

• I don't use my phone for banking - way too risky as I see it.

I do mostly use session cookies on my laptop - that is the default - so I can go with that on the phone.

Thanks!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Remembering anything between clicks in a browser requires a cookie. No one can login to anything, anywhere on the web if cookies are outright blocked.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2013

you can pass the session through the url, that that is pretty insecure and bad UX.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@x00 said:
    you can pass the session through the url, that that is pretty insecure and bad UX.

So YOU wrote vBulletin 2??

• It is also an option in phpBB, and a bunch of others.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@x00 said:
    It is also an option in phpBB, and a bunch of others.

Oh, I'll add it as a config flag in Vanilla. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Psych.

• It sucks as bad european cookie legislation. In fact all those bureaucrats that don't know what they are talking about, and rush through legislation, should be force fed cookies, whilst made to browse without them.

grep is your friend.