Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

vanilla.css - where for art thou

just downloaded and installed Vanilla today - in the, 'How to create a theme:' 'Part 1: CSS / Design'
In the README.txt file step 3 says:

1. Create a "design" subfolder and copy /applications/dashboard/design/style.css
    and /applications/vanilla/design/vanilla.css into it.

i located style.css - but where the heck is vanill.css?? I gradually widended by search until i found myself searching my entire harddrive -
no sign of it??

am i missing something here guys (apart from the file itself)

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

but where the heck is vanill.css?? and you don't need to copy the style.css either.

that is a bit dated... don't worry about it. Instead concentrate on custom.css, which is what you need to do to override and add to the existing css.

look at the forum and search for custom.css. You will find questions about custom.css are rampant. Often people can't wrap their heads about the fact that they add command to custom.css in their custom themes design folder. Depending on specificity and inheritance it can be used to override the css info in style.css.

try this I believe.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19915/deploying-a-new-forum-and-adding-a-theme-for-everyone

also look at whu606's annotated css.

use the search on the forum, it may be more advantageous than searching your hard drive :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Yes, create a custom.css and add style overrides there, don't copy over the existing CSS files and edit them. You'll get into a world of hurt.

• @peregrine -sorry, but i don't see how that article helps - ive used the search box and not found reference to this issue. I suspected that the instructions were probably out of date but i'm still non the wiser as to the whereabouts of the css file???

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

vanilla.css was removed from core and merged into style.css. Use neither. Instead, create a new file called custom.css and place your customizations there.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

i'm still non the wiser as to the whereabouts of the css file???

What you don't know can't hurt you, please follow the advice here, just download a ton of themes and test them all play with them and then you can create your own.

There are many cool themes here and we worked very hard to make them so people can try them out , so please try out at least 5-10 themes before you start to create your own. You won't be sorry...

• @vrijvlinder & Lincoln - ahha thats all i needed to know - its been depreciated ok thats fine i thought i'd mucked up the install or something. @vrijvlinder as much as i like the cool themes, i have a specific design for my site already and im fully conversant with CSS and related web technologies - ive almost finished modifying it already.

I've got to say i haven't come across a more user-friendly piece of software and i install alot for my clients - its a close run thing between Vanilla and Open-Cart. I'm loving vanilla a little bit more though.
    much thanks for your help guys.

I've got to say i haven't come across a more user-friendly piece of software and i install alot for my clients

Yea that's what I keep saying , and the css is very straight forward and easy specially if you have the know how! Excellent !

You should know that not everyone who comes though here is that well versed in css and very often make the mistake of hacking the main style then run into severe problems, that is why we urge people not to do it.

Leave the dashboard/ files alone , clone the sheet is what we say.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@vrijvlinder said:
    clone the sheet is what we say.

I actually recommend against cloning it too. Just start a blank custom.css and start from there. You'll save yourself a ton of headaches the next time a significant core revision comes along. I spent a lot of time undoing my clones of CSS files.

oh sorry , I meant "we" as in me myself and I lol

I did not mean clone the whole thing just the parts you need as you edit with an editor. That is how I make themes . Look at the existing code of something edit live in web inspector to get what I want and then take those parts into the blank custom.css surely one does not need 100% of the main style.

Maybe I should have said copy paste your edits onto a custom. Surely people are not expected to start from zero no? they have to get it from whatever they see whatever theme they have enabled . To know what classes and id to use etc. The selectors that are used. Most people start by emulating the default. I retract the word clone from my statement and replace it with the word emulate. :)

I spent a lot of time undoing my clones of CSS files.

I just keep adding code until the css file can't take it anymore lmao no just kidding, I know what you mean , thanks for the advice , I do try to keep it simple and improve with every theme.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

there's a difference between cloning the style sheet vs looking for information in style sheet related to tags that might aid you in creating cutom.css.

look but don't touch. didn't anyone ever tell you that? :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

look but don't touch. didn't anyone ever tell you that? :).

Incessantly....still :(

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited July 2013

A pedant writes:

Wherefore means 'why', not 'where' or 'whereabouts'.

In Romeo and Juliet, 'Wherefore art thou Romeo?' means 'Why are you called Romeo?' (and therefore an enemy of the Capulets.)

Just saying.

OK, I'll get my coat.