HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Community based "Best of..."

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited July 2013 in General Banter

Hi alle,

While taking a nap i had a idea for an extended Best of... addon that could come from the community. I' don't really know how the Best of... plugin of the hosted version of Vanilla work, but from what i see here it's not best executed at this level (or doesn't seem like).

http://vanillaforums.org/bestof/

I think the idea has great value. Frequent users as well as not so often surfing by users can inform themselves about new ongoings in the community. But every community works different. In some it will be enough to Best of... just those discussions that receive high opening rates, in others it might be driven by high ratings in case of answers and Votes and some will profit by a listing from the Like this addon. Also we have Peregrine Reactions that could be taken in account for the four reactions implement to show the latest Best of... discussions or comments. Not to mention that File Upload could also see an integration making the Best of... page visually more attractive. What a load of integrations possible...

How it could work in a first version:

1: Best of discussions based on Likes, Thanx or Reactions (more interesting than by comments i think)

2: Definition of the time period the rule set will be applied

3: A way to manually highlight discussions (admins or moderators)

Any ideas or things that have to be taken in consideration?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Long time users here can 'promote' posts in addition to the standard reactions. From my understanding, this makes the post immediately be considered best of material. I think this takes care of number 3 on your list.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.