Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Install vanilla 2.2 with a fresh new database name

peregrineperegrine ☯ MVP
3:35PM

Bluehost uses the label phpmyadmin and offers Export and offers Export -
standard phpmyadmin export is a backup if you choose to backup entire database.
as far as Bluehost special uniqueness I know not.

DavidColburnDavidColburn ✭
3:43PM

I have it copied to my laptop and to the external USB drive.

It contains all of the databases, Vanilla and some little-used blogs.

UnderDog
peregrineperegrine ☯ MVP
3:57PM

So, I would recommend you install vanilla 2.2 with a fresh new database name and play with it for a week or two (testforumA) if you like it and all of the plugins you need are there. then. You have a backup in case your installation messes up your live forum of 2.0.18.x

then if you are happy. I would backup live database

I would install a new separate test forumB with version 2.0.18.8 with new database name then import database you got from live. then overwrite source to 2.2 in the new test forumB then run utility update to see if it works. play with it for a week if it works.

then do the real thing.

UnderDogUnderDog mod
4:59PM

See Peregrine's advice. It's the exact advice for all beginning users.

Remember : if you question a 'howto' google first please unless it's really really specific to Vanilla.

You can also use google on the Vanilla site.

'"How do I backup my forum" site:vanillaforums.org/discussions/'

When you add that little piece ~~~site:vanillaforums.org/discussions/

Google will only return results from that site

DavidColburnDavidColburn ✭
5:10PM

I have printed peregrine's post as I'm in the midst of trying to get our son enrolled in college, our daughter transferring HS's, and just changed versions of Linux on two laptops (including this one), plus life's usual daily adventures.

I really appreciate the help and patience and apologize for seeming often-obtuse.

peregrineperegrine ☯ MVP
5:18PM edited 5:19PM

1) back up database (you said you did).

2) then use this to install 2.2 on you linux laptop. It couldn't get any easier - assuming you have nginx or apache and curl and php and mysql installed.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187377#Comment_187377

UnderDogUnderDog mod
5:25PM

@DavidColburn said: I really appreciate the help and patience and apologize for seeming often-obtuse.

As long as you show you're trying, it's ok. Besides : all these advices are good information for on the Vanilla Wiki. There's just someone that might ask you to add it there

Comments

• @DavidColburn said: I really appreciate the help and patience and apologize for seeming often-obtuse.

it take a while to soak in all the information, that's why i suggest people soak some up take a break, play around, and then come back with questions. It's overwhelming when you get so much stuff pushed at you (in both directions).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Vanilla 2.2 has been installed.

http://oachegroup.com

I'll get it tweaked some and report back.

• edited July 2013

Attempting a Preview of the Bittersweet Theme triggered an error (see below).

The Install screen said to enable pretty URL's but they were already set

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

Based on a Search of prior Question threads ...

I edited .htaaccess as recommended here:

vanillaforums.org/discussion/24168/htaccess-issue

Using the model here:

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/blob/master/.htaccess

But perhaps based on this thread there is a bug?

vanillaforums.org/discussion/23569/internal-server-error-500-when-trying-to-access-mobile-site

500 Server Error

A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup.
    Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again.

URL: http://www.oachegroup.com/dashboard/settings/testaddon/Theme/bittersweet/YDU0QRRZST5X?DeliveryType=JSON

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Instead of clicking on the 'enable' link, right click and copy the link source. Then paste it into the address bar and hit enter.

Let me know if that works.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I'm not following. (Surprise!) ;-)

What should I be looking at when I choose to "right click and copy the link source" rather than "enable", please?

There is no Plugin button for "Pretty URL's" (as noted it is already set to "TRUE" in the code) and the options for Themes are "Apply" or "Preview".

Are you referring to one of the default Plugins?

Sorry, I was picturing the plugins page in my mind. If you want to apply the theme, right click the apply button. If you just want to preview it, right click the preview button.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Yes, hgtonight, it works when I right-click Preview, copy the link, and paste it into the address bar.

@DavidColburn said:
    Yes, hgtonight, it works when I right-click Preview, copy the link, and paste it into the address bar.

Congratulations! You have found a known bug! There is a hack on the related issue page on GitHub. There is no proper patch at the moment. Copying and pasting the link is the preferred work around until a proper patch is released.

Search first

• OK, thanks. That's not a problem since it is a rare need.

Onward to more tests ... I had been distracted setting up a WordPress account for a small new church in town and editing it to their preferences.