Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

posts not able to process html codes

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

@UnderDog said:
    presses 'patience' button. Thanks peregrine for all your insights, it's enlightening and always fun to read your posts, comments and advises!

likewise. at least you and V seem to enjoy them :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

what exactly works and what doesn't.

new comments - work or don't.

old comments - did they work correctly before the crash?
    if so, there is no reason in the world why you would need to edit them or modify the database ???

I wouldn't even enable an editor

put some bold tags <b>bold</b> and see if they work in new posts.

put some bold tags bold and see if they work in new posts.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@UnderDog said:
    presses 'patience' button.

would be nice if all people would :)

• Options

@peregrine

I saw what is happening there, the html is being changed to this rendering it useless

div class="Message"> &lt;a href="mobileforums"&gt;&lt;b&gt;mobileforums&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/a&gt; </div

• Options

now all we need to know for that particular message. is that from firebug or database?

what is in the database and perhaps there is a chance to solve it and isolate where the problem is, it's still not present, not sure why OP can't post it??? WDYT??

• Options

@V
    it's still a guessing game, you like them, I find them a waste of time, until OP provides info requested.

put some bold tags <b>bold</b> and see if they work in new posts.

put some bold tags bold and see if they work in new posts.

• Options
    edited July 2013

yea those were the bold tags he put and what they look like in the source, so my guess, is that the formatting is not working or has something interfering with allowing those tags.

I am not sure how that work so would not know how to fix it. Assuming he has all the right settings. What would cause this to happen ? the tags are being changed into
    that...

http://mobileforums.info/index.php?p=/discussion/6/best-ios-photo-editing-app-so-far#Item_5

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

What would cause this to happen ? the tags are being changed into that...

• broken html tags in body preceding the rest of the code
    • broken plugins
    • broken theme
    • broken js
    • duplicate plugins that have been renamed and enabled
    • duplicate plugins and themes that still have "live php" files
    • fiddling with htmllawed
    • any plugin that modifies the body of a discussion (quotes, editors, emotified)

• the logical thing to do would be this.
      http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187197/#Comment_187197

and display snapshot of body in database and format in database for a problem discussion
    and re-reading the above comments a few times.

• but then again should it be logical or guess work.

Assuming he has all the right settings. :)

WDYT??

i don't need a link i need an image of what is stored in body in database.

htmlentities or htmlspecialchars

<?php
    $str = "A 'quote' is <b>bold</b>";

// Outputs: A 'quote' is &lt;b&gt;bold&lt;/b&gt;
    echo htmlentities($str);

// Outputs: A &#039;quote&#039; is &lt;b&gt;bold&lt;/b&gt;
    echo htmlentities($str, ENT_QUOTES);
    ?>

• Options
    edited July 2013

@mbforums

You needed to download a new copy of vanilla and add HtmLawed, I think when your plugins were wiped out , you did not replace this one which comes with the download of vanilla. I added it , now it all works....

V-doc fixed your html !!!

@peregrine

I got to thinking, what has an effect on html other than the formatting config, then it occurred to me to look for the htmlawd which was enabled, but was not there...

Mystery solved :)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

missing htmlawed
    broken plugin.

probably one part of problem :))

• Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options

@peregrine said:
    broken plugin,
    removing htmllawed - just causes html tagged things to disappear

well the plugin was missing actually, but enabled.. when I added the plugin back into the plugin folder, the html was ok and looked normal.

I have no idea really how it is supposed to work, but I know it has to be in the plugins folder at any rate. When this happened to me about the plugins getting wiped out, I got all mine back in bulk by the host. I think @mbforums just added them by hand and forgot the ones that come with vanilla.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

in that case he probably has a bunch of other bad plugins that also come with core that are more uptodate than in the addons downloads. So, when he continues to have other problems, he will know what to do.

So, in essence what you are saying by following the step by step solving mysterious problems would have solved it in less than 20 minutes. :)

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187197/#Comment_187197

• Options

Ouch, so there were default plugins missing
    Iam out in my car posting for my phone.. I'll get back here as soon as I can.. I love you guys!!!!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

I love you guys!!!!

I think you love her! I gave up because info requested was not provided :)

well the plugin was missing actually, but enabled.

and generated no error messages, sounds like an issue for github?

• Options

Always in any case try to have a backup of your plugins and themes ready. If something is messed up, it needs a bug report and it might need... that backup of plugins and themes!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Love her, haha.... She is sweet! I thought she was a guy at first and called her bro....

Thanks so much guys...Iam still in my car... Will chat soon

• Options

guys, thanks so much for all your support, that was my problem..i have no clue that there were default plugins there....its a bad habit not to check after using wordpress and joomla for 5 years..

i was able to fix, stats, facebook, google, minify and tons of others...

thanks so much guys

Special thanks to Vrijvlinder... <3

• Options
    edited July 2013

@mbforums said : i was able to fix, stats, facebook, google, minify and tons of others...

Avoid minify as if it was e-bola virus!!

i have no clue that there were default plugins there...

It is always good to have a spare copy of Vanilla or download a new copy to make sure it is complete.

Special thanks to Vrijvlinder... <3

You are very welcome! Thanks for trusting me with access to your server :) The truth is access only works if you know what to look for , once I suspected HtmLawed and seeing it was missing the rest was easy.

I can't fix everything, just so you know... but I can learn how and so can you :)

• Options

Thanks so much, just a question..
    Do you have a forum yourself??