Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FB Popup Join plugin feedback

hey guys this is my first plugin:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/fbpopupjoin-plugin

:D give it a try

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Great idea! one thing I noticed is the version requirements , 2.0.1 ?

I think you made a typo. I suggest you do not add version requirements unless you know for sure it won't work with lower version or higher version.

This way people can test it with any version and report if it worked for them or not.

• @vrijvlinder ok i'll fix that :D

edited July 2013

Yea that is a better way to gauge if it works, than blocking people from trying :)

and avoid the fatal error complaints from that part anyway...from people who did not read it's for a version they don't have

I can confirm it works on 2.0.18.8 also...

The only thing I notice is it pops up every time I refresh the page. Or do I need to dismiss it every time ? It should not appear in the dashboard every time one logs in, that can get a bit annoying .

Otherwise it works as promised you add the Facebook page id and it connects your facebook page so people can go and like the page.

• ok i'll do another fix lol sorry it's my first time. not sure why it pops up everytime on you though maybe the cookies are blocked or something.

It's cool , not bad for being a virgin lol

• Awesome! i asked this feature a few months back and some guys told me its a bad idea. http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/183631/

Now, i will try out. Thanks,

• How about a close button or a second cout. like if the visitor doesn't click on like button within 5sec the pop-up will disappear.

• ok i'll make that update @Jone :) thanks

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Jone said:
    Awesome! i asked this feature a few months back and some guys told me its a bad idea. http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/183631/

I still think it is a bad idea.

That said, I welcome all plugin developers with open arms. Good job @fr3em1nd!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@vrijvlinder said:
    I suggest you do not add version requirements unless you know for sure it won't work with lower version or higher version.

This way people can test it with any version and report if it worked for them or not.

Just my perspective on version requirements: Always put the version you are developing against as the required version. This is the known working version. You don't know if it works on older versions.

Anyone that wants to try it on older versions has to comment/change one line to test it.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Anyone that wants to try it on older versions has to comment/change one line to test it.

Your points are valid , I go by my experience testing plugins , reviving plugins and to be honest some plugins just don't need them. Not all , just some don't. He clearly said he tested it on his version alone. That is enough for people to decide if they wish to try it on theirs.

I tested this plugin and it works with lower version.

Some people will be turned off by this if they get fatal error and are told sorry only works with such and such and turns out that commenting or removing that line was all that was needed.

Or if they are told that all they need is to remove or comment the line , they might think, that will work with all the plugins that have another version. You just can't know what people will do or not do. I have seen some doozies here for sure.

That is why I said "unless you are sure it won't work with a lower version".

If you are not sure why not let people test it for themselves. This is after all a testing ground. :)

@vrijvlinder I don't know where half of the plugins in the addons section would be without your testing/revival efforts :3

Search first

• keep getting this error? Plugin.FbPopupJoin.FbPage is not a valid integer.

edited July 2013

you need the correct Facebook page id , not the user page id but the Facebook page id.

example , look at the url of the Facebook page extract the number at the end that is the Facebook page ID

https://www.facebook.com/ZUSOUND?sk=app_180810088654561

• If you copy paste 180810088654561 the plugin display Plugin.FbPopupJoin.FbPage is not a valid integer.

edited July 2013

ok here is a better way to find your page id , that number was an example not to be used ...and it's not your page I am sure...

http://support.statsmix.com/customer/portal/articles/483515-where-do-i-find-the-page-id-for-my-facebook-fan-page-profile-

You put this in the address bar just replace the ending with the name of your page

http://graph.facebook.com/your_page_name

A code will display and in there will be the id

"id":"66528849983"

The error is not from the validation it is from not using the correct number.

@fr3em1nd

Maybe you can include the info about how to find the page ID in the plugin readme :)

I came up with idea to make it not display in the dashboard I think you need to add a customadmin.css to the plugin and add a rule for it not to display. Just call the style sheet by adding an

if ($Controller==('settingscontroller')){
    $Sender->AddCssFile('plugins/FbPopupJoin/customadmin.css');

so it only calls the sheet when in the dashboard, well that's the idea anyway , just thought of this and is late so will test it tomorrow.

@vrijvlinder said:
    I came up with idea to make it not display in the dashboard I think you need to add a customadmin.css to the plugin and add a rule for it not to display. Just call the style sheet by adding an

if ($Controller==('settingscontroller')){
    $Sender->AddCssFile('plugins/FbPopupJoin/customadmin.css');

so it only calls the sheet when in the dashboard, well that's the idea anyway , just thought of this and is late so will test it tomorrow.

I like to check the masterview if I want to make something show/hide in the dashboard:

if($Sender->MasterView == 'admin') {
      // Do stuff in the dashboard
    }
    else {
      // Do stuff not in the dashboard
    }

This will work on any controller that uses the dashboard view.

Search first