Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Discussion Status Image

RichelleRichelle New
edited July 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello,
I just downloaded Vanilla Forums today. I'm working on customizing my website but have arrived to an impass. Maybe i'm not searching for the right terms.

What I want is, in my categories & discussion for an image to represent the status of the thread.
One for when there are new comments, no new comments, hot topic, etc.

Is there a plug-in for this?

Here are examples of this:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php
http://www.quebec-cichlides.com/forum/

Thank you for your help
Richelle

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

your links point to vbulletin and phpbb forums.

if you are asking about vanilla, what version.

and post an image with a mockup of vanilla pages show what and where you want to show something. It would be easier to determine what you want and on what pages.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Look at the source code. You'll find classes that you can use (here is an example of this forums category overview)
    <li id="Discussion_24346" class="Item Alt Unread ItemDiscussion Offline"> and <li id="Discussion_24358" class="Item Mine Read ItemDiscussion Online">
    Look at this plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/unreadicon-plugin. I haven't tested it, but from its description, I'd suppose it does what you are trying to achieve.

That plugin might be a good starting point to extend vanilla the way you like it to be. The classes are there, you just have to do the styling!

I love being the YESYOUCAN!-guy, but I have to admit that there is no class for "hot topics" as there is no such thing in Vanilla (as far as I now). I've seen plugins which show the most popular discussions, but you would have to write a plugin for yourself, that marks discussions that matches some criteria as "hot" and afterwards add the hot class into the views you like to style.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Or you could use css, this is some mockup css I threw together; it hasn't been tested but might work

.ItemDiscussion .TheClass {
         padding:20px; /* Depends on positioning, this is for a side icon */
         position: relative; /* Depends on where you want it, this is for an overlay */
         z-index:9998;/* Depends on where you want it, this is for an overlay */
    }
    .ItemDiscussion .TheClass:before {
         background url("foo.png");
         width: $widthofimage;
         height: $heightofimage;
         position: relative; /* Depends on where you want it, this is for an overlay */
         z-index:9999;/* Depends on where you want it, this is for an overlay */
         bottom: 4px;/* Depends on where you want it, this is for an overlay */
         left: 7px;/* Depends on where you want it, this is for an overlay */
    }

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@R_J said:
    I love being the YESYOUCAN!-guy, but I have to admit that there is no class for "hot topics" as there is no such thing in Vanilla (as far as I now).

@businessdad has a plugin called Hot Threads. You could extend it to apply a css class for what it considers to be hot topics.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.