Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Share on Github so we can help Vanilla Cleanser fixes and improvements

2»

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@aery said:
    I tried learning Git once. Had such terrible experience that I couldn't sleep all night.

@hgtonight said:
    Definitely personal preference. :D I found SVN to be horribly slow, but that might have been my employer's set up.

Both perfectly valid statements. I also used SVN for a long time, then I moved to Git and screwed up the push/pull/merge dozens of times before getting it right. I'm quite sure I still use only a fraction of its capabilities, but I definitely like it better than SVN. :)

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

screwed up the push/pull/merge dozens of times before getting it right.

I thought I was the only one :)

• @peregrine, np if GitHub or SourceForge don't appeal, I'll upload the files here in a few hours and you can diff them if you'd rather, gotta run at the moment ....

• Here are recommended changes for v. 2.1.2 (rc attached).

1. Added form field for number of records to process.
    2. Ignore records that have UserMeta information (like subscribing to discussions).
    3. Changed IP query from UpdateIPAddress (always NULL on my db) to LastIPAddress (its the most reliable user IP address in my db.

[Please verify that #3 is right for all users, not sure why InsertIPAddress is always NULL and and UpdateIPAddress is almost always NULL on my installation.]

• @got2code said:
    Here are recommended changes for v. 2.1.2 (rc attached).

1. Added form field for number of records to process.
    2. Ignore records that have UserMeta information (like subscribing to discussions).
    3. Changed IP query from UpdateIPAddress (always NULL on my db) to LastIPAddress (its the most reliable user IP address in my db.

[Please verify that #3 is right for all users, not sure why InsertIPAddress is always NULL and and UpdateIPAddress is almost always NULL on my installation.]

thx. I'll take a look at it. @got2code

The current plugin works in 2.0.18.8 and 2.1 (or greater)

By the way, I assume you tested on versions 2.0.18.8 and 2.1 (or greater), and your changes work on both.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@got2code and other forum users.

1) ok - instead of modifying variable as stated in instructions ( it is easier via settings).

2) I'm not sure about #2
    your method will exclude them (.e.g. spammer modifies signature).
    Ignore records that have UserMeta information (like subscribing to discussions).
    and perhaps defeat the purpose.

Maybe I'll look into a checkbox option to exclude meta data if desired.

3) need more feedback from forum members to see which is more reliable in their database (since I don't have a live one). If I don't get feedback from forum members on this forum, be assured nothing will change with respect to this. Just look in the user table and see which field is the most populated in your forum (least amount of nulls).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• got2codegot2code New
    edited June 2013

@peregrine No, only tested on 2.0.18.8 since it's just a zip file for you to diff. Sorry.

Option 2 allows you to make a first pass, deleting all that have not subscribed to any discussions. That gets 99% of them. Without that new check, the plugin deletes all legitimate users who subscribed but did not post; it is very hard to tell the difference between real and fake users in the listing file. Users could get angry that they are no longer subscribed.

As for spammers working around it, most spammers who subscribe will also post. The plugin already skips them so they have to be deleted manually, along with all their posts, using the built-in mechanisms.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

How does one subscribe? what plugin?

is it this one

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/emailsubscribe-plugin

• EMailSubscribe plugin is what we use.

UserMeta table is used for all kinds of purposes by plugins and the core, (including Signatures as you pointed out), so the query could be tweaked to exclude signature records et al when it is checking, and the delete could remove any signature records et al when deleting the user.

• Hi guys,

I've taken the liberty of creating a GitHub repository for the plugin. I've integrated @got2code's change, above, and made a number of improvements myself, namely the ability to filter by regular expression on comments/discussions/about text, as I was getting a lot of predictable spam.

Here's the repository - feel free to make pull requests: https://github.com/michaeltyson/vanilla-cleanser

• Also, while I'm here, a todo that would make this plugin more usable:

Replace the file-downloading/editing/uploading workflow with a real interface that presents the list with checkboxes (and paging, to remove the offset, limit stuff)

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@MichaelTyson said:
    Hi guys,

I've taken the liberty of creating a GitHub repository for the plugin. I've integrated got2code's change, above, and made a number of improvements myself, namely the ability to filter by regular expression on comments/discussions/about text, as I was getting a lot of predictable spam.

Here's the repository - feel free to make pull requests: https://github.com/michaeltyson/vanilla-cleanser

Did you ask @Peregrine before you did this?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hey @Tara! No, I haven't talked to @Peregrine yet, but I noticed he seemed amenable to the idea but hadn't gotten around to it. It'd been quite a while since that discussion and I thought I'd contribute! Did you think there might be some issues?

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@MichaelTyson said:
    Hey Tara! No, I haven't talked to Peregrine yet, but I noticed he seemed amenable to the idea but hadn't gotten around to it. It'd been quite a while since that discussion and I thought I'd contribute! Did you think there might be some issues?

Up to @Peregrine but I think it would be courteous to ask before branching out, especially because the license of the plugin doesn't seem to be specified ( correct me if I am wrong :) ).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Crap, you're right - I could've sworn I saw a GPL2 license in there, but now I can't see it anywhere. I'll delete the repo and contact @Peregrine now.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2013

@MichaelTyson What you could do is post the code here or zip it so peregrine can look at it . I am sure if he thinks it is a good thing he will implement it and give credit . But it is always better to get permission from people before publishing elsewhere . I am sure your intentions were good ...

This discussion has been closed.