Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Blocking Spam Bots

kitutalkitutal New
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

So I have a system set up on my forum that requires members to apply, and get approved by me, each member gives a reason why they want to join the site, real people give real reasons and spam-bots post the same meaningless comment every time, making them easy to find and prevent from ever joining the site. It works well, because it means they never get a chance to post anything onto the website before being found and deleted.

However, just lately it seems this system has stopped working, something has made these 'applicants' able to post their spam and junk onto the site's activity feed, and there's no way of restricting this in the users permissions area. Any ideas on how I can stop this happening? It's upsetting some of my real members.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Version 2.0.18.4

The first step is to update to 2.0.18.8. Spam bots thrive on old versions of software.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• does the new version have some updates that stop spam better, or is it just a try this first and hope it does something sort of solution?

The first step to solving any issue is to use the recommended version. 2.0.18.8 is the latest stable version and has numerous security fixes outlined here.

No use oiling the squeaky door if the frame is lopsided.

Search first

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited August 2013

@kitutal

It's a standard suggestion.

The latest stable version was introduced to eradicate some security vulnerabilities, so you should update to that regardless of any other issues.

It seems likely that there is an error in your permissions somewhere.

What role are these spam posters assigned to in your user table?

• getting the update sorted, might as well anyway, as you say :)

and they're 'applicants', permissions are only to view most parts of the site, but not to post anything.

Remove the Activity.View permission from your applicants role. It actually lets you post on activities in 2.0.18.x.

Search first

• and that seems to have fixed it, great. thanks :)

so it was just a little bug in the current software, looks like it's all working perfectly now