Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

In response to whu606 - New Poll plugin

Comments

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@hgtonight said:
    Gauntlet gratefully accepted with the stipulation of a release to the community upon completion.

I offer my help as well, should you ever need it.

• Options

@hgtonight I'm probably stating the obvious, but I would suggest creating a GitHub repository, so that other Contributors can easily help with features and bug fixes.

• Options

OK, as we're all agreed on the scope, then please go ahead @hgtonight. Let's consider the feature-set frozen at this point. I can confirm I'm happy for this plugin to be freely distributed.

@x00 and @businessdad, I think we'll all benefit from your input and guidance so please contribute and review as you see fit. I'm too busy to oversee this process but you're both experienced guys so I trust everyone not to step on eachother's toes :)

Can someone add up the pledges and summarise them in this thread? We should all pay when the finished version hits the Addon section of this site. My $200 is the starting point, but I would prefer it if we get as many members contributing as possible. Even if it's just $5 I think it will give the community some impetus and a sense of shared ownership.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited May 2013

@50sQuiff, @businessdad, @x00, @peregrine

The working title for this plugin is Discussion Polls. I created a repository on GitHub. I wrote up a formal requirements document and put it in the README.

Please review the requirements and submit any changes you would like. I am sure I missed some type of functionality. Fork away!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    50sQuiff, businessdad, x00, peregrine
    Please review the requirements and submit any changes you would like. I am sure I missed some type of functionality. Fork away!

Now, that's a list! Should we set up a Trello Board (or equivalent) as well, to split the tasks? Since the task list is already done, it should just be a matter of copy/pasting them.

• Options

I have an architecture spec, but I just getting the ok from my client. Bare with.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 said:
    I have an architecture spec, but I just getting the ok from my client. Bare with.

I prefer to stay dressed. :P

• Options

@hgtonight the requirement you’ve written matches up pretty well with the architecture I'd suggest with a few differences. However both meet @50sQuiff requirements. Of course architecture is more to do with 'how' than 'what'.

My input would be much more at the architecture and planning stage, the middle stage not so much as I’m unlikely to be available, I'm sure @businessdad could assist if you get stuck, then if you need more help towards the end I may or may not be around, depending of how long it takes you.

However if it has gone smoothly for you, then you wont need me lol.

I'm not thinking about subsequent releases at the time being, my client would have to be interested in these anyway.

grep is your friend.

• Options

got the ok from the client.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@businessdad said:
    I prefer to stay dressed. :P

Not what I heard....

grep is your friend.

• Options

Pending @50sQuiff review for the go ahead.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Great work on the requirements doc. Proceed!

• Options

Initial release features are frozen. See you on the other side! :D

Search first

• Options
    50sQuiff50sQuiff ✭✭
    edited May 2013

I'm going on holiday for two weeks and will try to stay offline, so I won't be around to respond to any questions.

• Options

@50sQuiff, @whu606, @x00, @businessdad After much delay and vacation, I have finally released the Discussion Polls plugin. I can already see room for improvement, but this should be a good base.

I would really appreciate it if someone could double check the model for me as that is my weakest area. All feedback is appreciated though. :D

Search first

• Options

great job! Interesting interface :)

I noticed some bugs I'll hit you up on github.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Thank you @hgtonight, this looks great! Impressive effort. It needs a bit of work before it's ready for deployment but please contact me with your Paypal (or UK bank account) details and I'll send you my $200 sponsorship bounty.

I just had something odd happen right off the bat. I created a discussion with a poll, which was never attached. I subsequently edited the discussion, re-entered my poll details and it worked.

I then logged in as a different user and attempted to start a new discussion. My original failed poll questions were there!

As I see it, end users can make any cosmetic or layout changes they like. But I've got two initial comments on the UX: I see the "Poll Title" as extraneous and voting really needs to be AJAX'd.

Thanks again and looking forward to v1.1 :)

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited August 2013

It looks great! It's user-friendly and the code is clean as well.

I confirm the same problems that @50sQuiff is having.

If I create a new discussion and attach a poll to it, it won't show up after posting the discussion, but if I edit the discussion and attach a poll then, it will save properly.

Also, if I create a new discussion within a category in which the category ID is included in the post/discussion link, the poll from the other discussion shows up in the form.

I also noticed that removing a poll from a discussion and clicking save says that the poll has been removed successfully, but it still says the same message and doesn't run its procedure properly if there are validation errors with the post discussion form.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

I believe I fixed the new discussion bugs in 1.0.1.

There is a reason you shouldn't stay up late to get software released. You get sloppy. ;)

Search first

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited August 2013

As soon as my code looks as "sloppy" as yours, I'll call myself a pro :-D