Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

how do i make it show guests online?

jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

how do i make this plugin shows guests online like vanillaforums.org?i downloaded whosonline 1.3 ,but it only shows member online.image

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The current whosonline plugin updates a db record every time a user visits a page. The module spits out what ever is in the table. Since guests don't have sessions, it would take some work to add in anonymous users.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭

where i can download the newest whos online plugin like vanillaforums.org,or how i change to make it shows the anonymous users online.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@jeongwee said:
    where i can download the newest whos online plugin like vanillaforums.org,or how i change to make it shows the anonymous users online.

The SaaS version of vanilla ( which vf.org uses ) has a WhosOnline plugin that was developed internally, the community one was coded by another developer )

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

We don't know what plugin is used here. We can only speculate. As it stands, it seems to be a proprietary plugin Vanill Inc. has not released.

You would modify the file class.whosonlinemodule.php. In GetData(), it currently only tracks by userid. You would have to come up with a way to track guests (hash IP and user agent? I don't know) or figure out a better way to track people.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

you can try using this service , it is free but you should donate something if possible

http://www.freeonlineusers.com

• lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

I think that this change doesn't require too much work. You should track guests in a dedicated table using a unique IP column and a lastVisit timestamp column, counting as guests online all records that have a timestamp < 2 min (or reusing the existing plugin constant ).

Search for Frequency https://github.com/lifeisfoo/WhosOnline/blob/master/modules/class.whosonlinemodule.php

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Also, keep in mind that more than one guest may have the same IP address, thus the information might be inaccurate.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Wouldn't it be possible to set a session variable?
    Here's a link to a implementation of a guest counter: http://hibbard.eu/how-to-make-a-simple-visitor-counter-using-php/

@R_J said:
    Wouldn't it be possible to set a session variable?

That would be possible, but a Vanilla session is not the same as a PHP session. Vanilla sessions exist only for logged in Users and are stored in the database, while PHP sessions exist for everybody and are stored in files. Some thorough testing should be done to make sure that using PHP sessions won't mess anything up.

• You can set a cookie, but it all seems rather pointless to me.

Useless features that add more work.

Whosonline as it is wastes resources by continuously polling the site, simply to know is someone is logged on this minute, even if they could be having a coffee for half an hour and left a tab open.

grep is your friend.

edited August 2013

@x00 said:
    You can set a cookie, but it all seems rather pointless to me.

Useless features that add more work.

Whosonline as it is wastes resources by continuously polling the site, simply to know is someone is logged on this minute, even if they could be having a coffee for half an hour and left a tab open.

Showing a random number based roughly on the time of day could be a resource friendly solution :-D

@R_J said:
    Showing a random number based roughly on the time of day could be a resource friendly solution :-D

I raise with a Schrödinger solution. A simple label stating "A dozen Guests may or may not be online".

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I find that to be so inaccurate and misleading. People have gotten divorced over this.

"You said you were offline and I can clearly see you are still online !! ".....

@vrijvlinder said:
    I find that to be so inaccurate and misleading. People have gotten divorced over this.

"You said you were offline and I can clearly see you are still online !! ".....

It happens to me from time to time on facebook, because my smartphone tells people I'm online 24 hours a day and it is annoying.

But I can understand that admins like to show that on their forum for marketing and community reasons although I think that users doesn't find it as useful as admins. For me (as a user) a separate members list, sorted by who's online is much nicer.
    And I think it should be possible to hide ones online status (do not know if WhosOnline already provides that option)

• There are all sort of analytics solution that don't cane your server.

grep is your friend.

• dear Download that file online user poto show