Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Need some help. Yes I will pay

I need the following done.

a. In post pages, show adsense beside first and last post.
b. In post pages, show the first 255 characters as the meta descriptions.
c. canonical tag when on page one is pointing to url/p1 when it should just point to url when on page1

eg
http://www.naturalparenting.com.au/discuss/discussion/45292/coronial-findings-in-lisa-barretts-hb-deaths/p1 instead of http://www.naturalparenting.com.au/discuss/discussion/45292/coronial-findings-in-lisa-barretts-hb-deaths/

Its worth $75 to me.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version of Vanilla are you running?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

We can't see the code when you have minify enabled.....

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Just a couple of suggestions about the project, to both the OP and the person who will take it:

• To OP: please add some screenshots of how you would like to have AdSense displayed. Ads come in many formats, knowing how exactly they should render would ensure that the theme is modified correctly.
    • To OP: I reckon you mean "the first 255 characters of the initial post". To Dev: you might not have such post available when you render the second page of a discussion, and you would have to go fetch it manually.
    • To Dev: Changing the mechanism that produces the canonical URLs should be done with care. It's true that, if you remove "p1" from the URL, Vanilla renders the first page, but I recommend testing the modifications thoroughly to make sure that they don't break something else. In my opinion, I think that "p1" could stay where it is, as it doesn't bother anyone and it doesn't cause any drama with SEO.
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    We can't see the code when you have minify enabled.....

True dat.

It is not a good idea to use minify on the fly anyway, you will likely break something.

As you don't know ahead of time, plugins you will be using in the future means the likelihood of something failing is high.

js obfuscation and minification is a flawed, process. People don't realise that is fails all the time, and is not a hands free thing you can rely on without testing. With proper testing, it is fine, but is not a general tool.

It should really only be used a part of a build process, which isn't really related to on the fly naive minification as a webmaster.

What'smore it may already be broken, and you might not be aware that the bug is there. A good example is you decide to delete one post as the administrator, and you end up deleting all the posts on that page, stuff like has happened here becuase of minifers corrupting code. Not all bug will be obvious like js failing completely.

Another problem is lumping all the code in one file means is something fails it could all fail. I think you can reasonably group things like I do in this plugin:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/consolidate-plugin

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Assuming you provide your version number and some mockups, I offer my services.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.