Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Quick Question - How to change from "Users name" to "Username"

kirkpa31kirkpa31 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Screenshot is below - for the life of me I cannot figure this hopefully simple thing out. I've looked through dashboard and vanilla files and tried multiple $Definition sequences in my locale.php file.

Screenshot:

using Vanilla v. 2.0.18.8

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

look inside the views folder for dashboard/views/registerbasic.php

<li>
             <?php
                echo $this->Form->Label('Username', 'Name');
                echo $this->Form->TextBox('Name');
                echo '<span id="NameUnavailable" class="Incorrect" style="display: none;">'.T('Name Unavailable').'</span>';
             ?>

• Thank you! - but I still cannot see where to go from there to change the text...

edited August 2013

that is where it would be if it was wrong, another place would be in your theme if it has other views or if you are using a plugin that replaces that view.

Or if it is in a locale file which I doubt because User Name is standard. It is only a label for the form so look for label that says what you want to change and change it manually.

• Thanks again. I've checked the BotStop plugin but that is not proving effective yet -- i'll keep looking around now that I know there is no simple locale.php term I could throw

Thanks @vrijvlinder!

edited August 2013

you can see what file it is in using a web inspector. Click inspect element and then look at the file path for that page then go in and change that. Looks like a typo.

Try this one , not sure it applies to the form though...

$Definition['ConnectName'] = 'Username';

• I suck at this apparently

I hear what your saying and I'm assuming it's easy - but I only know how to use inspect element to edit CSS based on it...I will try to learn how to view a file path to get to the exact page.

Thank you

Give me the link to the page and I will tell you , use chrome web inspector or safari web inspector then click or hover around until you find the right button to see the path , it is easy actually . I will make a screen shot so you see...

edited August 2013

Here I am using Safari web inspector. On the left is the list of resources , in the middle the code and on the right would be the css and also the file path depending which you clicked to see..

I am looking at the registration page of one of my forums. The file is entry.js another place the typo may be ...

notice the highlighted part , it has to do with the form and the username etc. Look in there and see if the typo is there.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

There is no Users Name in the core, apart from anything else it should be User's Name.

Please check you default locale for $Definition['Username'], you might have it is there twice. If you can't find it you need to use a toll such as grep to search for Users Name

grep is your friend.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Here I am using Safari web inspector. On the left is the list of resources , in the middle the code and on the right would be the css and also the file path depending which you clicked to see..

I am looking at the registration page of one of my forums. The file is entry.js another place the typo may be ...

notice the highlighted part , it has to do with the form and the username etc. Look in there and see if the typo is there.

How would that help? Be careful about leading down a garden path.

grep is your friend.

@x00

Yes , my specialty right? however ....He is looking for a typo somewhere in the code in any file that has to do with the registration page form to find the typo and fix it if it is a typo. He said he did not know how to look at the resources and see what files are being used , I provided a method to find them.

Garden ->Garden Path ->find the files->find the typo :)

• Sorry for the delayed response - had to hit the sack here in ET....but I can't believe I didnt try that in my locale @x00 - that simple $Definition['Username'] worked - I was over thinking it apparently.

And @vrijvlinder - you're the best - thank you for being even more persistent than I was for this.

Yes, well based on what you posted

tried multiple $Definition sequences in my locale.php file

I assumed you tried it and looked for it and did not find it there , and since I'm pretty sure you have hacked the core based on your past posts, I figured it must be a typo since you say you did not find it in the locale.php

I've looked through dashboard and vanilla files

I thought you were looking for other files associated with the reg form that could contain those words to look for the typo.

Glad you found it :)