Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Unanswered Questions Tab Missing, how to add to Filters?

I've got Q&A running with 2.1b now. It was running on 2.0.18 before and there were these tabs across the top, including "Unanswered Questions". That's gone now, and I can't find a way to get to all the Unanswered Questions anymore. Is there a way I can add it into the DiscussionsFilter box?

Cheers,
Ludwig

Comments

• Check out the version on the official Vanilla Forums GitHub. It has DiscussionFilter links. https://github.com/vanillaforums/Addons/tree/master/plugins/QnA

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• LudwigLudwig
    edited September 2013

Uh oh, that made all the pages go blank. Is the forum software also different on the Githubs?

Uninstalled other Q&A and tried to install the one from Github and got:

<div class="Messages Errors TestAddonErrors">
       <ul>
          <li>The addon could not be enabled because it generated a fatal error: <pre></pre></li>
       </ul>
    </div>

I'm running Version 2.2.3.4 of Vanilla

• Ok, attempted to upgrade to 2.2.3.11 back that completely b0rked everything up. Am I missing upgrade instructions somewhere?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited September 2013

Welcome to the community!

You can check the wiki for upgrade instructions.

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Upgrading

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @Ludwig said:
    that completely b0rked everything up.

Details... please... Bonk error? Debug page?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I'd give you more details but Vanilla didn't provide any. It was an Internal 500 and then after trying to fix it I got a "Oops something's not right" nice error page with a circles background...

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2013

Error logging for internal 500 errors show up in the web server's error log file usually. Is it shared hosting or do you have access to the server backend or the error logs? Is your web server using Nginx?

• LudwigLudwig
    edited September 2013

Shared Hosting, will see if I can get Logs. Just upgraded again. With all plugins off (_plugins) I can get to Dashboard but not Discussions. I narrowed crashing the Dashboard down to Q&A (disabling *just* that plugin brings Dashboard back but still no Discussions.)

Yup I don't have access to Logs :(

• Error is:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /public/discussions/applications/dashboard/models/class.messagemodel.php on line 144

• Forum works when I replace class.messagemodel.php with an old version of the file.

Q&A's error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/www/gathergather/gathergather.co.nz/public/discussions/plugins/QnA/class.qna.plugin.php on line 406

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2013

That's usually an error that shows up when you use an old version of PHP. The updated Vanilla code uses new features introduced in PHP 5.3+.

To check what version of PHP you have, make a blank file and call it whatever you want with this:

example.php

<?php echo PHP_VERSION; ?>

If it's older than 5.3, check if your host has a way to upgrade to a newer version.

• 5.2.14-0.dotdeb.0

Will check with host :) Cheers! Hope it works, will let you know.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@Shadowdare said:
    That's usually an error that shows up when you use an old version of PHP. The updated Vanilla code uses new features introduced in PHP 5.3+.

To check what version of PHP you have, make a blank file and call it whatever you want with this:

example.php

<?php echo PHP_VERSION; ?>

If it's older than 5.3, check if your host has a way to upgrade to a newer version.

never thought about that echo PHP_VERSION

I've been telling people to use this (both work :) , one provides a bunch more info. Probably handy to know both techniques and every forum admin should know about it.

To check what version of PHP, and other useful info you can make a blank file and call it whatever you want - e.g. myphpinfo.php and put the following in it and then run it from your browser.

<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
    phpinfo();

?>

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Setup a localhost with PHP 5.3 and everything works as advertised.