Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bug: When user doesn't have access to category it shows up anyway

When user doesn't have access to particular category it shows up anyway
on a popular list.

How to fix it?

Comments

• edited September 2013

It seems that the plugin doesn't take into account User permissions, using a custom model instead of the DiscussionModel.

I can help @peregrine fixing it, if he would like to update it. I had to solve the same issue when I developed the Hot Threads plugin, which does practically the same thing (with a couple more features).

• Welcome to the community!

I highly recommend @businessdad's Hot Threads plugin which is a steal at $10. It is well written, documented, and, in my opinion, rock solid.

If you can get by with just the latest posts, check out my Latest Post List plugin. It does not sort discussions by anything other than date. It does respect permissions.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    I highly recommend businessdad's Hot Threads plugin which is a steal at $10. It is well written, documented, and, in my opinion, rock solid.

It seems that I have a fan. :)

If you can get by with just the latest posts, check out my Latest Post List plugin. It does not sort discussions by anything other than date. It does respect permissions.

Giving credit where credit is due: the Latest Post List plugin is the one that inspired the Hot Threads.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@businessdad said:
    It seems that the plugin doesn't take into account User permissions, using a custom model instead of the DiscussionModel.

I can help peregrine fixing it, if he would like to update it. I had to solve the same issue when I developed the Hot Threads plugin, which does practically the same thing (with a couple more features).

@businessdad

sure post the changes, And I'll add them. thx.

meanwhile - I didn't see your plugin, but I'm sure it is well written as always, and I would urge people to purchase them from you.

since my plugin development depends on people sending donations - and no one sent any recent donations for this plugin. I'll get to it on my own eventually and look at code again. or I will add any changes that someone posts that solves the issue.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@szarak said:
    When user doesn't have access to particular category it shows up anyway
    on a popular list.

How to fix it?

1) yes I said it didn't in the readme in version 2.0

did you read the readme

"Listings will be for all categories. no permission handling is included. feel free to add the code modifications if you so desire it."

But your question is till valid.

2) since i got offer for help on this plugin and got no help as yet. I wrote a newer version of the plugin 2.1. you can download it now.

which may now work as you desire with permissions for categories.

In the event, it does not work as you desire, at least you got it for free. *

If it now works as desired - you can support developers who post free add-ons on this forum by sending a donation. If not, i truly suggest you purchase the other plugins available from people who are selling them, at least they will make some money for the plugins and time spent on them.

If you already purchased the other add-on suggested. no worries.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks man!
    I supported two plugins from ground up so far.
    They are free to download.
    Hope this helps community :)
    Cheers

• edited September 2013

@peregrine said:
    since i got offer for help on this plugin and got no help as yet. I wrote a newer version of the plugin 2.1. you can download it now.

I got busy, with my other projects, it's hectic like hell these days. I will check the newest version you uploaded to see if I can still help with it.

By the way, github would still be very useful for this. ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@szarak said:
    Thanks man!
    I supported two plugins from ground up so far.
    They are free to download.
    Hope this helps community :)
    Cheers

cool. which ones??

No problem - at least all of you you guys got some plugs for your plugins.

• I checked the latest version, it seems to respect the permissions now, although I encountered an odd behaviour. I set a long period to display data (700 days) and a limit of 10 discussions:

• With a "restricted" User, which had access to all the categories but one, I saw ten discussions (correct).
    • With my Administrator User, I saw two discussions (incorrect, I should have seen ten, since User had access to everything).

Anyway, I think I fixed the issue, I attached the updated plugin. Without a VCS you will have to do some comparing, but the important changes are in class.mostpopularmodel.php.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

thanks @businessdad. I made your changes in the model and the concomitant changes needed in array in default.php. the other changes are white space changes as far as I see. The 10 or so line of codes are certainly cleaner. However, I did not see the problem you experienced and saw with my code. But I changed the code nevertheless.

version 2.3 is now updated with your changes

• @peregrine said:
    thanks businessdad. I made your changes in the model and the concomitant changes needed in array in default.php. the other changes are white space changes as far as I see. The 10 or so line of codes are certainly cleaner. However, I did not see the problem you experienced and saw with my code. But I changed the code nevertheless.

That's right, apart from the model I just changed a loop and some indentation to make the code more readable while I inspected it.

If you want to delete your zip from attachment that would be cool.

Attachment removed, as requested.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

thx again for followthrough @businessdad

version 2.3 is now updated with your changes

• You're welcome. By the way, regarding your question below:

@peregrine said:

szarak said: Thanks man! I supported two plugins from ground up so far. They are free to download. Hope this helps community :) Cheers

cool. which ones??

I reckon that one of them is the Friendship plugin.