Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Dislike (downvote) planned?

I looked at the source to see how this addon integrates with Karma Bank. I found that it inserts three columns into the User table, one being "DisLiked".

I'm looking for a way to downvote comments and discussions so users can actively moderate the forum themselves. Is this something you have planned?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This seems like it wouldn't take too much effort to implement. That said, most plugin contributors here write code for their own use. I can't attest to what @hbf has planned, but this seems like a good project for someone to cut their teeth on in terms of plugin development.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I don't see a CVS like Github mentioned anywhere, so contributing to the code will prove difficult. :/

You can modify the plugin to fit your needs (even use a local git repo to track your dev if you like), then share the repo/diff with @hbf.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @DivineDominion said:
    I don't see a CVS like Github mentioned anywhere, so contributing to the code will prove difficult. :/

it's also not that hard to post zips of individual files that you changed in a discussion topic.

It's been done, it works also. The plugin author can always do a diff. you don't need to post the whole plugin, just the changed files.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I strongly recommend not allowing dislikes. People get grudges on forums, and then end up using it as a weapon and down vote the same persons posts over and over. Then they downvote back. Then you have a downvote war and peoples ratings destroyed. Now you need the added complexity of dislike throttling, permissions, etc. You end up with a bunch of people bitching to the mods about other people abusing the system.

Its always created a mess on every forum ive run.

Flagging or voting for a mods attention is ok, but I would never let someone downvote someone else on one of my forums. It always goes bad.

@jackjitsu different strokes for different communities. Something like stack overflow or reddit really need a downvote button.

Search first

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@jackjitsu

I certainly wouldn't want one on my forum, but I get where it could be useful.

As long as it could be toggled on/off it wouldn't really matter, imo.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@hgtonight said:
    jackjitsu different strokes for different communities. Something like stack overflow or reddit really need a downvote button.

I wish they added a downvote button for comments as well, on StackOverflow. There's now a trend of people posting answers using comments, so that they can only be upvoted.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@jackjitsu said:
    I strongly recommend not allowing dislikes. People get grudges on forums, and then end up using it as a weapon and down vote the same persons posts over and over. Then they downvote back. Then you have a downvote war and peoples ratings destroyed. Now you need the added complexity of dislike throttling, permissions, etc. You end up with a bunch of people bitching to the mods about other people abusing the system.

Its always created a mess on every forum ive run.

Flagging or voting for a mods attention is ok, but I would never let someone downvote someone else on one of my forums. It always goes bad.

i originally had a dislike feature in my first prototype - hence the added column. i abandoned it when i realized that most people who frequent forums are at least as immature as i am and will tend to abuse such a feature for the sake of amusement or trying to get a rise out of someone. so.. i removed it.

if it is to be added back into the plugin i would want to make it an optional feature controlled through user permissions. unfortunately i dont have time to work on it right now, i hardly get to even log in here these days.

• @hgtonight - I left reddit because after winning a debate, I had people follow me and down vote every single post I made from then on. See that all the time. Another example of downvote abuse / downvote revenge. It kills the incentive system when a small percentage of aholes do this. So again, I recommend no downvoting, or there better be a config variable to turn it off.