HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Tag Cloud plugin ?!

edited May 2012 in Feedback

Would love to have some folks test out this addon, my first. I'm not the savviest developer, but wanted to give something back to this beautiful project/community. It's not much, but I think it's something a bunch of folks have been looking for.

I actually learned quite a bit building this trivial little plugin. Everything is done client-side, requiring the retrieval of two small .js scripts and one .css. Maybe it could be done with less overhead, I dunno. I suppose I could merge the two scripts.

Anyway, if folks are finding this useful, I might add some configurable styling options or something.

Feedback? Bugs?

Tagged:

Comments

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Just wanted to say Thanks. . Nothing else.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Congrats on first plugin, @leafmonster

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• zhlousekzhlousek New
    Answer ✓

I have been using your plugin on several sites and it works well. No problems.

Thanks.

Above said, I have alos been experimenting with Vanilla 2.1 (alpha) and styling of your plugin is broken. No big deal but you may want to know.
    Tom

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

since you are experimenting on 2.1 @zhlousek - if you happen to try any of my plugins (under in 2.1 and they don't work let me know, I haven't experimented on 2.1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @zhlousek Thanks for the feedback! Very glad to hear it's working for you.

I'll have to take a look at 2.1 when I get the chance. (Is there an ETA on that release, anyone?)

• Even with it not working exactly as it did before 2.1, it's still an improvement over default IMO. I've been tinkering here and there but am not an accomplished enough programmer to solve the riddle of what's breaking it, but I'm happy with how it looks at BBS Forum right now regardless.

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

@leafmonster

Any news on making this plugin fit for 2.1?

• I have no idea what goes into producing a plugin like this. I can say however that the end result is brilliant and does exactly what is expected of it. It is easy and intuitive to use and delivers what is needed. Excellent work, thank you.

• As I said in my last post I love this plugin, however it appears limited by the tag limit of the Tagging addon. Because the Tag Cloud is so compact, there is plenty of room to fit more tags when using Tag Cloud rather than the 25 tag limit at present. Is this limit set within the Tagging addon or can the limit be increased in Tag Cloud? I would like to double the number of displayed tags if possible.
    Any thoughts anyone?

Also could anyone point me in the right direction to move the Tag Cloud above the Bookmarked Discussions window so it's easier to see.

Thanks, Mike

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited October 2013

@avantime4mike You should be able to increase the number of tags in the tag module by modifying /plugins/Tagging/class.tagmodule.php line 36 to ->Limit(50). Feel free to put whatever number your want in there.

You can reorder modules using your config file. Use something like $Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('NewDiscussionModule', 'SignedInModule', 'GuestModule', 'TagModule', 'Ads'); should do the trick.

This is all untested, but the logic follows ;D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I found how to increase the limit myself, there are three references to limit(25) in class.tagmodule.php which I changed to 50 and it does exactly what I wanted.

Any ideas on moving the Tag Cloud up the page above bookmarked discussions?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

you could possibly add it to the module sort array in the config.php in the order you want. as :

@hgtonight said:
    You can reorder modules using your config file. Use something like $Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('NewDiscussionModule', 'SignedInModule', 'GuestModule', 'TagModule', 'Ads'); should do the trick.
    This is all untested, but the logic follows ;D

Works for the menu so why not this too :)

• Works for the menu so why not this too :)

it does work.

other sorts...

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/163830/#Comment_163830

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Thanks for that p !! excellent resource :)

• @hgtonight thanks, worked a treat.

• @hgtonight said:
    avantime4mike You should be able to increase the number of tags in the tag module by modifying /plugins/Tagging/class.tagmodule.php line 36 to ->Limit(50). Feel free to put whatever number your want in there.

Since implementing the above I have been happily adding tags to older discussions on my forum, a mammoth task but the results have been well received.

The problem I now have is that the number of tags has now reached 67 and despite setting the limits in class.tagmodule.php to 75, only 60 are displayed in the Tag Cloud.

I'm sure that 75 will be enough so I would love to lift whatever restriction is causing this by 15

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@avantime4mike

viewing the tags from the main discussion page index.php?p=/discussions

how many tags show when you disable tagcloud?

if the the number of tags stays the same - you can rule out tagcloud as the culprit.
    In that case the discussion question would not be related to tagcloud plugin!

if the number of tags increases, it is the tagcloud plugin.

Most likely you have one of the following problems

• 1) if any of the tags in the Tag Table have a 0 in the countdiscussions column they will not show up in the tag portion in the panel.

• if all tags are 1 or greater in the countdiscussions column your Tag table, then which tags don't show up and what is the tagid for the tags that don't show up.
    • 2) perhaps you are reading the wrong file?

- do you have duplicate files of class.tagmodule.php?  or backups of it? if so delete them.

• 3) did you double check the number in line 36.

• 4) the tag name is somehow corrupt.

if you checked 1,2, and 3 above then:

if all tags are 1 or greater in the countdiscussions column your Tag table, then

Which tags don't show up and what is the tagid , tagname, and discussioncount for the tags that don't show up.

also note: when viewing within individual discussions in a category all the tags might not show up.

P.S I would comment out lines 35 and 42 to prevent tags panel from showing individual discussions and categories. - kind of overkill.

• Very strange behaviour, I disabled Tag Cloud as @peregrine suggested, checked the number of tags displayed (63), re-enabled Tag Cloud and they are all now displayed. Before anyone says it, yes I had refreshed the page previously (several times). Mmm!