Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is this plugin supposed to work straight out of the box????

First, let me say that I am a complete novice. I don't know anything about codes and configurations or anything. I just downloaded this plugin and uploaded it to my plugin folder. It is visible in the "dashboard" in my admin section in the plugins section and I even "enabled" it to work. When I am working in a post and want to add an image to what I am writing, I click on the image icon in the editor and it will open up folders from my computer and let me add files to add an image to my posts. The arrows spin next to that image icon like it is uploading something, but the image doesn't show up. Is this plugin supposed to work straight out of the box or was I supposed to do something EXTRA to get it to work. I just installed it, enabled it and clicked on it to work and it's not working. Please help

Comments

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

Welcome to the community! Here is a link to the forum etiquette.

It's supposed to work straight out of the box. Did you change permissions (CHMOD) on Vanilla's /upload folder to be writable by the public? What version of Vanilla are you using?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

edited October 2013

Edit: accidentally double posted.

• Hmmm, "change permissions (CHMOD) on Vanilla's/upload folder to be writable by the public?"--no, I wouldn't even begin to know what that means or how to do it. I just downloaded it, uploaded it to the plugins folder, went to the dashboard and enabled it and saw it in the editor and clicked on it to use it. I am using Vanilla 2.0.18.8.

• Oops, sent that comment without first saying, "THANK YOU" for the welcome and for your response to my question, please forgive my manners!

• The plugin will work out of the box without any configuration, but it's Vanilla that needs to be configured out of the box.

Here is a guide on how to give write permissions to the folders that Vanilla needs to write to: http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Installation#Set_Folder_Permissions

• Now I am really NERVOUS! I just saw the guide you sent and I am not sure I want to try it! Vanilla has been working just fine as far as I could tell up to this point without me going and trying to configure something that didn't seem broke! HA, HA! I installed Vanilla through Simple Scripts that was set up through my webhost. All, I had to do was click install and BAM it worked! I am hesitant about doing anything else to it, plus from what I understand from the guide, I would assume that the database is already set up since my setup wasn't like what the guide instructed, IF WHAT I SAID JUST MAKES ANY SENSE!

edited October 2013

Most install scripts from web hosts are unreliable, but it's a good thing your web host has the scripts updated with Vanilla 2.0.18.8 instead of what many install scripts have, which is 2.0.18.4, which has some security vulnerabilities.

Basically, the main problem with install scripts is that they aren't always up to date, so if you don't know how to do things like change file permissions and extract files, then you will be out of luck when the next version of Vanilla comes out and you want to upgrade to get security patches and new features.

Changing the file permissions won't break anything if you follow the few steps in the guide and you can always revert it back to the old permissions if something happens. You don't need to follow the other parts of the guide as you already have the database and everything else installed, so you only need to follow the part about changing folder permissions. If you run into any problems with changing the permissions, you can trust the Vanilla community to help you out.

It's possible that the install script has already set the correct folder permissions for your Vanilla install and there's another issue at hand, but to confirm, would you please upload a profile picture on your forum and see if the profile picture shows up?

• THANK YOU for your time in explaining everything. I feel more at ease now that you spelled out what I need to do from here, since the databases are already setup. I was able to upload a profile picture on the forum BEFORE I installed the imageupload plugin. So something allowed me to upload a profile pic before installing the imageupload plugin. I just decided to get the imageupload plugin because I wasn't happy with the "insert image" thing on the editor because you could only insert an image that had an http:// address. The forum is located here: http://www.narrow-minded.com/wysiwyg/vanilla/ and embedded here: http://www.narrow-minded.com/forum.php

edited October 2013

No problem. You're off to a good start. The ImageUpload plugin is fantastic and simple to use, so let's get it working. If you have an FTP client program or can view the files of your website from your web host's control panel, you should see an imageupload folder in the /uploads folder. Is there anything inside the imageupload folder and can you tell what permissions the folder has?

• Yes there are 11 other subfolders in the "imageupload" folder that are all named with numbers (meaning the folders have names that are numbers, like "055, 112, etc." The permission says "755," if I am answering those questions correctly.

edited October 2013

Thanks for taking a look. This confirms that it's not a problem with the permissions. It sounds like the images uploaded with the ImageUpload plugin are getting uploaded as expected, but aren't getting added to the body of your posts.

This could be a problem with the jQuery version being different in Vanilla 2.0.18.8 than the ones in the beta versions of Vanilla, but first, are you using any editor plugins, such as ButtonBar, CLEditor, Wysihtml5, or something else?

• I am using CLEditor

• I just tested ImageUpload without and with CLEditor. Uploaded images show up fine without CLEditor, but don't with CLEditor in both Vanilla 2.0.18.8 and 2.1+. Please give me a few minutes to come up with a fix.

• THANK YOU, am patiently waiting...

edited October 2013

I attached a file to this post with the fix that you can download. Rename the file from imageupload.txt to imageupload.js, then replace the file with the same name in the /plugins/ImageUpload/js folder with this one.

Make sure you clear the cache of your browser so make sure your web browser sees the updated file. To do so, press CTRL + F5 or SHIFT + F5 in your web browser while viewing the page where you post a new discussion or add a new comment.

Uploaded images should now show up in the CLEditor textbox. Please let me know if it works.

@chuck911, this fix is based on the imageupload.js file from ImageUpload 1.1. The problem came up when support for Wysihtml5 was added. I changed the algorithm for updating the textbox value by moving the conditional around line 48, and I didn't change anything else. I tested the fix on Vanilla 2.0.18.8, 2.1b2, and 2.2+.

• Sorry that it took so long to reply, but I followed your instructions and it only works for some images but not others, hmmm? So, I reread the instructions and retraced what I did to make sure I did EVERYTHING correctly and still could only get one image to load while others I tried wouldn't upload. (?)

• Perhaps, I missed something, but it looks like it won't upload jpg images, but the png images would upload. is this supposed to be correct?

edited October 2013

Thanks for the details. It should work for any type of image. Let me take another look.

• Looks like some images don't get added when they exceed the max image size of 2 MB set in the imageupload.js file. What is the file size of the image you're trying to upload and would you be able to resize or compress the image to make it smaller?

• One image was 1.38 MB and the other was over the 2MB limit (which I didn't realize there was a limit) at 2.63 MB, so it figures that the 1.38MB jpg file should have uploaded.