Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Addon Sorting

jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I think there shoud be other options to sort the addons except Newest,

Like Most Popullars?Most Highest Scores?

And maybe a more detailed addons categories?

So users can have a easlier check for wat they wants?

Also maybe vanilla shoud add a Devolper Points related to " how many times the plugins downloaded and wats the average score".

I think that maybe will bring more devolpers and made the devolpers more active.

Just saying, how do you thinking?

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@jeongwee

good idea. perhaps something better will be implemented.

my thoughts :)

@jeongwee said:
    I think there shoud be other options to sort the addons except Newest,

Like Most Popullars?Most Highest Scores?

there is sorting via recent and popular

And maybe a more detailed addons categories?

yes -

And sorted via some type of functionality or a tagging function in the add-on section for the developer and moderator or admins to add tags.

So users can have a easlier check for wat they wants?

yes it is hard sometimes. especially if you don't type it exactly e.g. QNA vs Q&A

Also maybe vanilla shoud add a Devolper Points related to " how many times the plugins downloaded and wats the average score".

maybe. perhaps points per plugin. or points that a member of the forum can click on to give developer points for plugin that they like.

number of downloads - might not be a true indicator - could be gamed.

I think that maybe will bring more devolpers and made the devolpers more active.

it might. certainly monetary donations by forum admins for plugins they use would be even more effective to get more add-ons.

some of this has been discussed before - not much has happened yet. probably not much will happen till release I would guess, unless someone else who works for vanilla besides the vanilla developers is put on the project

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited October 2013

Yes these are all great ideas and believe it or not we have talked about it. A rating system so people can see others liked it.

It is difficult to do the give points per download because it opens up for people to abuse that to get points. Most people will not do this but some will. As it is we don't know how many use the stuff after downloading. I think we should get points per Upload !

The only way to possibly add points is by having a " great add-on" option when you give feedback on an add on. But by the same token you would need to have a " Terrible add-on " option and that can cause problems if it was not deserved.

Maybe a rating system of

Worked

Did not Work

I just wish people could be trusted :(

Another idea is to create a new reaction only for those who have uploaded an add-on. And if people like their addon they can then click that reaction.

• Options

@vrijvlinder

Yes these are all great ideas and believe it or not we have talked about it. A rating system so people can see others liked it.

at least here and maybe some others I can't find. But still a valid question and worthy of a new discussion :).

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20779/suggestions-for-vanilla-add-on-app-on-this-forum

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

We don't get points for uploading stuff.... I would like to see that happen if possible.

That would increase developer input. Another way to go up in rank and be allowed to add signatures etc lol

coz if it was not for the few people who actually give points I would still be newb/new ;)

People need to learn to search, you can find most plugins by using one word even ControllSize just put control and it finds it or size. Or even resize ....

How could they all be categorized though? They already are in the plugin category. May in alphabetical order they could be sorted?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

V said: How could they all be categorized though?

probably would be hard by strict categories, but tagging could effectively categorize.

then you could have various tags

image, gallery, spam, membership and editing

• Options
    edited October 2013

tag for addons is a good idea.

like the Button Bar,its a editor.but ppl cant find it with searching "editor". :(

then they might ask on community "wat is the editor vanillaforums.org using right now?"<<<just a example

I mean it is hard to find wat you actualy want by searching sometimes, devolper might named it on a diffrent name.

Another example:

If theres a good addon ,and it has fixed a lot of problems.I mean it might alrdy good to use,so devolper don have to upgrade it anymore.But the good plugin might just buried by the after addons,becoz it doesnt need to upgrade anymore.becoz the system are not balanced.The new users might never know the good plugin.

We don't get points for uploading stuff.... I would like to see that happen if possible.

I would also like to see it if im a devolper,ppl who uploaded plugin for others free to use,they deserve to get some returns.

Sometimes they don get donations,but at least they get points or better ranking which helped them to get more chance to get more users to use their plugins.So ,more users still got more chance to get donations in the future,still not bad.Also more points looks good.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@jeongwee said:
    But the good plugin might just buried by the after addons

so @jeongwee you have tried just about every plugin that exists.

what are your favorites?

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21960/best-plugin-favorite-theme-what-s-yours

• Options

Just a example , i havnt :(

• Options
    edited October 2013

I would also like to see it if im a devolper,ppl who uploaded plugin for others free to use,they deserve to get some returns.

Yes it would be nice to get those at least it would mean Vanilla appreciates us for contributing . Not that they don't appreciate I am sure they do, but it would feel good :) It would motivate me to make more themes faster....

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I started writing pull requests for the Addons Application for minor features (being able to delete your own screenshots, for example). Implementing tags should be able to be done via a plugin.

Be sure to check out the source and code any features you want: https://github.com/vanillaforums/VanillaAddonsApp

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.